Ryan_047

How to properly introduce others to self help?

22 posts in this topic

Try to attract them to self-development, like @Harikrishnan said. Maybe not the sexual stuff since he's Christian but something else that attracts him. if he needs something, he will do it. Try to also create or help to produce results in their lives.

Let them try one self-development trick, and if it produces results, they will be hooked. Literally something like Leo's video on how to be happy or confidence, show them this and tell them to try it out. If it works for them, then they will carry on self-development. It's the most you can do, a video is better to start them off, and then when they have questions, you can answer them. 

Good thing you're staying away from the enlightenment stuff, that's way too early for him

One thing that made me get into self-development is results. When I watched Leo's videos, and they actually worked and made sense to me, as well as improved my life, it got me hooked

@fluidmonolith His wife saw the results. It's what they want! :P 

Results is what people want, if you can't provide results, they won't understand. Then as time goes on, they will forget about the results and just self-develop for fun. To produce results, tell them what to do, and they will do it IF it works. Try to attract them!!

Edited by B_Naz

You're not human, you're the universe

@Ryan_047 hi Ryan! I'll offer my personal opinion, as I've felt similarly with my own family members. First, I don't know the nature of your relationship with your brother, nobody does except you and him, it may be wise to remember this when reading other's advice. : ) 
I often see unhappiness and destructive behaviors in those closest to me, it's painful. Nevertheless, what I've found is that a direct approach almost certainly backfires; it can work, but it requires a lot of tact and know-how. When sensitive topics come up, people defend them like their lives depend on it, in all sorts of ways, overt and covert. A good analogy is an open wound, if you go directly at it and touch it's going to hurt, even if you're going to make it all better (like pouring disinfectant); if that person doesn't trust that you know what you're doing, they won't know the difference pain-wise between someone pouring disinfectant and someone pocking at it with dirt!  

That's the way I think of a situation in which someone comes along with a new-found ideology that worked wonders for them and want everybody else to have it: they're going straight for the wound with when they're off guard! Think of a time (if this has happened to you) when somebody from another political view or religion has tried to convert you.. did it work? 

I'm completely on board with some of the forum's advice that the best you can do is build the strength to set an example. You'll know you're there anytime somebody looks at you with admiration or willingly comes and asks for advice. The path to getting there is your own as it's subject to your everyday experiences and life context. 

Good luck!