Troyc

The Ego, the gym, and the self.

31 posts in this topic

@waking_dreams YES! Identity shifting is so fun! you can't cling to an identity if you're always changing it and you're aware that ultimately you couldn't ultimately be that identity. Actually start acting like a cat right now,  I wasn't kidding when I said that, you will become extremely happy. the "egoless (often spiritual) ego" trap is huge and probably the worst one to be in because its the most deceptive, when ultimately you're judging yourself and everyone harder than ever before

Edited by 11modal11

2 hours ago, Moreira said:

Talking about gym, do you know Elliot hulse? Ego is what destroyed him.

He started in stage green, giving advices  trying to make peoples life better. He was about bioenergetics, yoga,breathing and spirituality.

Then he centered his content on strenght and didnt talk about spirituality anymore, he started to sell books and material more expensive, he wrote a booke the king, calling himself a king, pumping his ego, more narcissistic and focused on finances and success, he backslided to stage oragne.

I've read the book and he did not call himself a King in an egotistical way, he meant that there 4 archetypes in people: King, warrior, magician and lover.  He was a "warrior" now he starting to become more "king".

That is true he started to pay more attention into money/business side. but i don't think he is "backsliding", If you've seen his interview with Siim land he was talking about transcending the ego to becoming the strongest version of yourself.

8 hours ago, Outer said:

I've changed my mind. The ego/I is basically self-referential thought. The true you is aware of the self-referential thought. There's also the ego/I that thinks that it it is the body. For instance you will probably have a lot of thoughts regarding the gym going etc that has an "I" in it, or directly implied with images of what you think is you or emotions surrounding it.

In hinduism many practice yoga, which is similar to weightlifting except the amount of resistance and the breathing. One puts more resistance on the muscles obviously.

With yoga and weightlifting you can think questions like am I this body? Who is behind these thoughts? In the gym... "I am not this body". "I am not these thoughts" "To whom has this thought arrived?"

You might notice that when the load gets heavy or you are doing something complex the self-referential thoughts go away... Speaks much of their utility.

Oh so its like Isha Kariya's meditation.. i thought you can only do that in Yoga

Can't wait to start screaming "I am not this body" next time in the gym ahahhaha

@ajasatya I'm not sure of the root cause mate, I have my theories, I believe we as anxious people are genetically pre-dis-positioned to being a worrier or anxious person, but it's on a scale, like autism, you might be one end of the spectrum where anxiety/panic affects you deeply, or the other end where it doesn't affect you at all. Also how you were bought up by your parents, makes a difference, or if something triggered us later in life, like a major stressor.

I had my first panic attack after smoking marijuana as a teenager, and from that day my life changed. I think if I wasn't a sensitive person it probably wouldn't have affected me as much as it did.

My upbringing was great, maybe there were times that I was sheltered a little, which definitely has its pro's and con's, for example I am very empathetic and respectful to others, but on the other hand I'm probably a little too sensitive with things like emotions etc..

I'm a lot better than what I was, but I'm afraid of things like being on a train, lift and aeroplane - which upsets me because I REALLY want to travel the world.

@Moreira I do know of him, watched one of his videos and judged him as being a meathead narcissist. Yeah I judge people, something that Leo says is not good to do, but I just can't help it, especially as I'm not happy in my own life.

For all I know he could be a great guy!? Like you said he has changed now right?

I'm not sure what these stage green, yellow etc are all about yet sorry, I've only watch Leo's videos that relate to me, and haven't had much time to watch the newer ones.

@11modal11 Hey mate, thanks for your input. I still don't understand this whole ego thing, like I said I thought ego meant to be egotistical, something that I can't stand.

Yeah, suppression is a great word to use, I have been fighting to suppress my feelings, to the point where, like I initially said, want to stop working out because I felt I'm being narcissistic.

You lost me on the last couple of sentences i'm afraid.

@waking_dreams Hey mate, yes I agree, it is pretty much the way I approach life. For example I go to the gym, and workout, but don't define myself as a bodybuilder as such, I wear many hats, which is for the exact reason you said. 

We have sports stars all over the world who get depressed because they retired, and identify so strongly with their sport they feel like know one.

I was just having trouble over the last couple of years with really trying to suppress myself, and I thought that going to the gym is very narcissistic. 

My therapist says that I'm too black and white, which is totally true, and I'm obsessive with some thoughts.

@ChimpBrain Hey mate, yeah this was kind of my battle, I just over the last couple of years would question my drive in going to the gym. I definetly know the benefits working out has on me mentally and physically, but I'll admit it, the main reason I do it is to stay fit and to look good for female attention, being that I am single and all. Is that intrinsic or extrinsic, I don't know. Is that egotistical, I hope not.

@Troyc yes I fell into that trap, youre being super egotistical by doing that, your jest judging yourself. At a certain point ego becomes a non factor and its contemplation does way more harm than good you can just go about your business freely as you see fit without. I particularly like to form different egos and interact with the world like that because it is fun for me.

@Troyc to clarify by judging the ego so harshly you are ironically being super egotistical, "ego can be seen"

@11modal11 Hey mate, and thanks again for replying! I still don't completely understand your responses and would really appreciate if you could try and say it another way? I'm very interested to hear.