Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj

Meditation posture

6 posts in this topic

So I have been wondering which meditation posture you guys prefer. Have anyone of you actually made into full lotus? Why do you prefer your posture? 

Personally I prefer sitting in a chair for 1 h sits and quarter lotus for 30-45 minute sits. 

Hallå

I've got slight ADHD so it's extremely difficult for me to sit and meditate. I lie down and don't move. Produces the same effects

- Enter your fear and you are free -

Personally I find posture is entirely subjective, my first months of meditation I did entirely laying down and looking at the ceiling. I then began sitting up simply because I found an increased amount of attention was automatically placed on the subject when sitting versus being leisurely. I have tried full lotus having flexibility from martial arts but I find leaving the palms and fingers in that manner uncomfortable and distracting thus my preferred pose would be this:

Do these things really have an effect? Well I would say laying down surely made it easier to just get lost in sensation, but in honesty I have had just as many insights in both postures. I think it really comes down to what position you can hold for your target duration without being distracted by the labor of maintaining it.

Perhaps as I advance the merit of certain things will become clearer.

edit- It seems the position I was doing according to some sources is the full lotus. From my original understanding full lotus was with your palms up resting on your thighs with the fingers touching. Versus others allow for the fingers to be cupped and held bellow the navel.

Edited by Zotikos
I posted a mistake.

I go with the "Burmese Position" which gives me the stability of a lotus position and I'm able to sit in without moving for 60-120 minutes without much difficulty (this took more then a few strong determination sits). I also like it because it pushes my back up and creates a very erect posture that induces a meditative state kind of automatically.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

I sit in a stretching position when contemplating pain, and in a chair when meditating or contemplating things other than pain. The reason is that contemplating pain is easier done when it's readily available, but when meditating or contemplating other things the pain from stretching can become too much of a distraction.

I am currently working towards the full lotus position. The reason for this is that I have read that it is the most stable and healthy position, along with the Burmese position or quarter/half lotus. However, I could be wrong and it could just be a tradition, no better than regular sitting. 

In order to develop the needed flexibility I use video guides like this one: Developing Lotus Flexibility - Preparing Yoga Padmasana Sitting Position. I work on several stretches each session. When it comes to developing flexibility, slow and steady is the way to go. Your joints will get sore and can only take so much each day, and your muscles will tear if you try to stretch them beyond capacity too quickly. It takes patience and consistency, but the progress is steady and measurable.

full lotus ensures your back is upstraight. Hence , i think its the best