Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zenith

The Starving Artist and Visualization

7 posts in this topic

I’m a photographer by trade and have been freelancing for about 5 years. During this time, I’ve put way more emphasis on  “working on my portfolio and projects” then running a business and putting myself out there. I’m trying to work on my self image and build more confidence through visualization techniques, especially relating to business and marketing. 

I was wondering if any other creatives use visualization and how you are using it for your development.  At the moment, my visualization as a “financially successful photographer” seems too abstract of a concept.

When Richard Branson was criticised for not being professional enough he claimed it was because he is a artist. This is true as all enturpuers are artists self expressing them selfs they are also scientists that experiments and measures what sells. I try and change your internal view to what a artist dose to change your financial position.

This year I vowed to pursue my life purpose 100%. So I went about doing hours of practice and a whole lot of preparation for establishing my foundation - my youtube, blog, my 'business' so to speak. But, I struggled to keep afloat financially so I applied for a job that perfectly suited me. I was adamant I would get the job, but when I didn't get it, it was like a punch in the face. Life was like "Bro, you went into this year to pursue life purpose! You can't have this job! Show me what work you have done," and I had nothing to show! 

So then from that day there was a switch from preparation mode to proactive mode. No more planning, I just went out and took the action I needed to take. Visualising is part of the preparation mode, and so if you are going to use it, then don't be lofty - use it so inspire action, to motivate yourself to get up and actually do the work necessary to build your foundation, your self image and your business. 

I visualize my self as the a renaissance man (woman). Lots of knowledge of different fields and master at my craft. Finance will be a by product of your artistic skills. See what skill you are missing, and learn it. 

@david-c This is very insightful and what I'm really trying to do. Unfortunately, I've bought into the "starving artist" persona for a long time and so I'm just beginning to reprogram my mind. Why do artists have a hard time doing the business part of the "art" ? It's an area of my brain that I need to develop and exercise. I want to learn the art of selling myself and still maintain my authenticity.  

@St Clair Yes! I'm going to try and reframe my visualizations. Make them more reflective of what I'm facing in the near future, like the act of preparing marketing materials or talking to potential clients. At least this seems less vague to me and more direct with my present struggles and what I'm going through. I like your ideas of using visualizations to take action. 

@Samra Very useful. I can see how visualization plays into learning tasks. Especially with areas that I need to work on. 

Edited by zenith