lilacwest

Dark Night of the Soul

5 posts in this topic

I would love a video on what Leo has learned about the "Dark Night of the Soul" - an unpleasant, depressing ego-state that I've heard some people must go through before breaking through to enlightenment. I am wondering if most enlightened people go through it first, if it is the ego fighting to stay alive? 

burn burn burn the ego. the fire is the only progress on the path. scream as your detachments fall away into nothing. This is how you find god. Through crucifixion. Part of the process. I think it's worth it but I really have no idea. Just enjoy it. Sing along to these songs, and try not get stuck in indulging in negative emotional patterns for there own sake. Stay equanimous with whatevers happening. Don't try and feel worse thinking it's progress.

My first contact with the fire was after reading jedmckennas book. It's a pretty powerful igniter.

Anyway - my tip is always lean into your edge. Dissolving the self structure can hurt and the reason most people don't is because there scared. If anyone has had a bliss experiance they know on some level they are denying it. They could be experiancing unity but instead they are chosing eating a donut, waiting for a football game nextweek, or whatever the goods of life are for them as an indiviuated self. Real practice is to lean into your edge, pushing yourself as much as you can into the fire.

and allowing yourself to feel the pain when you are chosing less than god. When you are rolling around in the pig mud of life as a small little self, enjoy yourself, really get into it. but know what you are doing. Allow yourself to feel the pain that you are living life less deeply than you know is true of your deepest heart. when you stay with your day to day experiance and realize wow I really am chosing this over truth it's tapas, it burns away samskaras. As long as you don't back way off from the truth you'll find your way back into practice and deeper realisation by feeling the pain of your own bullshit.

So theres two pains.

1) the little pain of knowing you are wasting your life
2) The big pain of destroying your ego and probably a lot of the things it built and valued in the progress

Is it worth it. I dunno, not enlightened but so far happier for the rough times in this process and a lot of teachers seem to think so.

Also i guess why i posted songs about it is find the humor in it. It's all good.

Edited by randombodymind

Hello :) 

Please make sure you read:

Thank you :)

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com