mihael kheel

Have Visualization Techniques Worked For You?

9 posts in this topic

Hey people, I'm new here, good to be a part of this community :v

I want to use visualization techniques to improve my overall self-image, have you tried it, has it worked for you? 

I found it in Psychocybernetics, I guess most of you have read this book too.

Haven't read the book.

But visualizations do work very good.

What actually helps is journaling. You write about your scenario and visualize additionally what scenario you would like to manifest.
Daily journaling is best in the morning and at night, before you go to sleep you can make your plans for the next day and the near future. (Doing it before sleep is better than in the morning).

There are many ways to visualize. Many processes.

Journaling helps you to first connect with your current scenario (get a real feel of where you are at) and from there it's easier to make your desired changes.

~Chris

I used it for about 10 days and it sure did have its effect for that time.

This is how I did it:

2 mins after waking in the morning and 2 mins exactly before going to bed.

When you do this, during the day whenever you wanna slack off, your vision comes and saves you from wasting time. You will continue your work! 

I used daily 10-15 minute visualizations to overcome the fear of public speaking in court for 6 months. Did not work. Actually, after I stopped doing them for this purpose, I've noticed that now I hate visualizations so much, that I just do not want to do them anymore.

But I am pretty sure they work for other purposes. Right now I cannot choose a vision to practice it. Nothing feels important enough to do such a "painful" exercise (as it seems to me right now).

In my experience it's more beneficial to become mindful of how visualizations work in your daily life. Most people have images pop in their heads which affect them and they don't even realize it. Something pops up and all of the sudden they feel distracted or shitty and they don't even know why. At that moment they visualized something which directly influenced their experience, but because they weren't mindful of it the effect of that particular image stuck.

Now if you start your day with good intentions and you do your visualization exercise to manifest a new car, at that moment it feels all good. You see yourself driving and enjoying your car etc. But then when you enter 'real life' your old images quickly take over and your early morning visualizations quickly become forgotten.

Imo, the visualization only can work if you become mindful first of all the images your mind, unconsciously, produces. So that you can correct yourself and align yourself with your preferred vision again. The feeling--or "vibration"--you have during your exercises should also be the feeling you have during the day if you wish for it to be successful.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@vizual made an excellent point-- the feelings are very important. I'm just getting into visualization, myself, and the most powerful sessions I have are ones that evoke feelings. If you're new it it, try looking up Lisa Nichols guided visualization on youtube. And the two books I've read solely on visualization  are Jon Gabriel's Visualization for Weight-loss (i'd recommend it, even if weight loss isn't an issue), and Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain. Both books have been quite informative, especially on developing visualization skills. 

Hmm I dunno man, i've visualised for around 15 minutes each day after meditation pretty consistantly these past few months. Bought in after reading psycho-cybernetics yeah.

I don't think i've noticed much deep change. I do notice short term changes sometimes e.g. if I visualise running to the gym with energy I often get the urge to run to the gym when I leave my house that day. Maybe recovered from the flu faster.

Maybe I haven't created deeper change because I often have a problem visualising something emotional enough. I experience anhedonia pretty often.

There are studies that back it up though and many people do get results, so it's definitely worth trying.

@jenna I'm gonna try this guided visualisation out. Cheers.

Edited by JimmySmalls

I have tried visualization few times, but I cannot design relevant visual scenes that would picture my desired state. Looks like visualization is good for extroverts who  wish to make impression on public, like actors, musicians public speakers, business negotiators, dealers.

All of these are easy to depict visually.

But what if I want to become a successful programmer and be happy about my job ?

Not money, not new house, car etc, but just enjoy the process.

Successful programmers sit at the computer, look at the screen and type on the keyboard. Unsuccessful  do exactly the same only sometimes get up and kick wastebasket, but successful ones sometimes does it too.

Then what should I visualize ?

@Naviy If visualization does not work it might be because of resistance that occurs because of your current self image and the beliefs that are the reason why the self image is constructed the way it is.

In that case, it is better to find the root cause of why your self image is the way it is. And you can do that by asking questions such as: What has led me to be afraid of public speaking? 

When you ask that question and then find a answer that is the root, you will experience an emotional relase. 

And then your fear will no longer be as active. And from that point you will start acting differently and not be as afraid anymore and all of this will happen without you having to visualize your preferred self and you won't have to fake it because the old self that was holding you back is no longer active. Because it will be trancended if you follow the process written about :)