enlightened_soup

Reading novels before bed

8 posts in this topic

I've cut myself from all mainstream media.

No movies/tv, no video games, no social media, including youtube and excluding Leo, no junk mainstream books.

I don't even have friends to chill with anymore, since my peers are mostly interested in the things listed above, leaving me the odd fellow out.

Every night before going to sleep i read fiction, which is my only form of entertainment and care-free time of the waking day.

My question is: Should i cut this too? Should i remove all forms of escapism from my life?

What do you guys do to entertain yourselves, or are you constantly working towards your goals?

Go very good art novels and fairy tales. 

There you will find enlightenment depicted. 

@enlightened_soup Congrats for being able to cut all of those out. Now, careful not to go to extremes. I did the same thing you did.

It's ok to leave a ratio of mild entertainment. Those are not bad.

There are still great movies and tv shows to watch, good events to go to, good social media content to consume and relaxing practices to do. It's just about the amount that you consume.

A great movie at the end of a hard work day is well deserved, and you shouldn't feel guilty for doing it, in the same way in which chocolate won't interfere in any way with your diet as long as you limit sweets to 10-20% of your total daily calories.

You need to find your balance, not cut everything out completely. Hell, even Eckhart Tolle watches movies sometimes.

You can also go pick girls up at the club and use it as practice. Many ways to go about enjoying yourself in a consciouss way. You just have to be smart about it.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu  You just reminded me of Leo's video on balance, where he talks about how important it is to always find balance between two contradictory things in life and never go to extremes. Forgot about that.

Thank you so much!

@Quanty You are right. Ancient texts contain deep wisdom and knowledge. And that's a problem for me, since i have to encumber my mind in order to interpret and understand them. I prefer being tranquil and relaxed when going to sleep.

I have no problem with reading them in the morning or during the day, though.

Which ones do you recommend?

@nour-cha93 Eating children can also be considered fun, yo.

@enlightened_soup 

I can totally relate to this 

I've cut out social media, become a vegetarian (still struggling with transitioning to completely vegan) and don't watch any TV.. sometimes feels like I am an extremist 

What is a healthy balance for recreation?

On 19. 6. 2018 at 0:31 PM, Quanty said:

Go very good art novels and fairy tales. 

There you will find enlightenment depicted. 

Any specific ones you would recommend?

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

On 2018-06-19 at 1:22 PM, enlightened_soup said:

I've cut myself from all mainstream media.

No movies/tv, no video games, no social media, including youtube and excluding Leo, no junk mainstream books.

I don't even have friends to chill with anymore, since my peers are mostly interested in the things listed above, leaving me the odd fellow out.

Every night before going to sleep i read fiction, which is my only form of entertainment and care-free time of the waking day.

My question is: Should i cut this too? Should i remove all forms of escapism from my life?

What do you guys do to entertain yourselves, or are you constantly working towards your goals?

you don’t have to cut everything. Just choose the information you digest mindfully.