Zane

Job Hunt Perspective Shift

6 posts in this topic

I've been on the job hunt for several months and it starts out as feeling chaotic and uncertain. I've realized that the job hunt goes through major unexpected shifts. There's always a possibility for rejection, being released from positions, and discovering new horizons and trails to blaze. However, I've been learning how to deal with all these situations, and learn from them. Initial rejection feels painful but I'm learning to detach from the pain and to persist. My attitude is "the more interviews I have, the more likely I beat the odds!" However, rejection can reach a point where it's overwhelming, and I focus on decompressing by taking a day off to spend strategizing, doing meditation or restorative yoga, or taking walks. I'm focusing on approaching the job hunt mindfully. After hearing Leo talk about the victim mindset, it made me realize "don't waste your twenties and feel powerless! I have the power to master job hunting skills and discover my authentic job!!" I've been more contemplative about self-actualization, life purpose, and spirituality and focusing on applying the job hunt from a place of authenticity. As a result, it resulted in several interviews in a single month. 

Edited by Zane

I've been struggling to find a GOOD job for over 5 years now.

If I had one I can keep, I'd move out.

@Zane  It usually takes between 1-3 interviews before people nail it.

Getting a job is easy, getting the right one...well...not so easy.

@CuteCornDog Hi! I got curious....are you 28 years old and still live with your parents? Is that normal in America?

I was calcylating how much you then must have been able to save on rent and put away. It must be such a large amount that maybe investing that enormus pile of money would be the way to go, rather then searching for a job?

In Sweden people tend to be adults and considered to feed and shelter themselves at 18 and move out. Girls usually move a bit earlier.

@Zane Like what @Dali Llama said, what job are you looking for? You need to be able to stand out among the rest when it comes to the job market. Things like wear a suit to your interview, even if it's for a job where you will never touch one. Research the company you are applying to. This can give you an edge. It's like reading a girls diary to find out what kind of guy she likes and becoming that lol 

A creative and unique resume doesn't hurt either. lol

Another great tip I learned in Business school was to make a list of questions that you have for the company. It's a little trick that will make the interviewer believe that you were invested enough in that company to research and prepare your own questions even if you are not passionate about flipping a burger.

"What does the potential to move up in this company look like?" is one I my teacher brought up :) It gives the idea that you plan to be with the company for a long time and want to grow with them, even if you only end up staying for less than a year. 

It's all a part that you have to play :)