passerby

Are Meditation and Yoga actually Dangerous? (long read)

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

So I have somehow stumbled upon this guy's blog (http://kundalini-brahmajnani.blogspot.com.au/). Throughout his blog he says: (I have not read ALL of it, and I am only putting it in my own words and its only a very brief summary)

that all these Kriyas, mundras, pranamaya, chakra meditations etc. are actually doing damage to your body, and that they are the RESULT/DOINGS of Kundalini and not the CAUSE of achieving kunalini. Basically that when you are having a real kundalini experience that your body will be 'seized' by another force which will make your body do various pranamayas and kriyas etc (I can't remember for what reason but I think it was something to do with the kunalini 'breathing' in prana through the sushuma).

that actually doing these things in an effort to achieve kunalini/awakening etc is not natural for the body and will do damage to physical and mental (he says how a lot of people who focus on chakras and stuff end up with tinnitus, (false) visions, delusions, paralysis etc). He says that in India there are many severly deluded people roaming the streets who think they have reached enlightenment after practicing xyz meditation/yoga, and the reason we don't see it in our western society is because 1. 'spirituality' isn't as 'big' as it is in India (and combined with the high population, so obviously a greater percentage of people participate), 2. we have a big mental health program which gets people 'out of sight' by getting them on meds and therapy.

so called 'kundalini syndrome' or 'the negative effects of kundalini' are the results of wrong meditation/yoga, and that while initial real kundalini experiences can be scary, there is zero chance of any physical/mental/spiritual damage that can happen.

that all the kriyas and stuff that are depicted in ancient scriptures are misunderstandings of what actually happens (like some people observed someone having a real kundalini experience doing all these weird things, so they decided that if they do those things as well then it will cause it to happen to them)

To achieve enlightenment, one must go through 1000's of Kunadalini awakening experiences and loosening all the knots of the spiritual heart (which will end the death/rebirth cycle), with each kundalini experience helps loosen the knots

It is a myth that once kundalini has risen, that it stays risen. The Kundalini will only be inactive (staying at base of spine, in which we have conscious control over our body) or active (in which it travels to the sushuma and breathes in prana or something like that. when it is active, we do not have control over our body). so the kundalini is only active during the time you are actually having a kundalin experience. Its something to do with the Kundalini only 'wants' the 'opposite' of what 'you/we/I' wants. This has something to do with why we must practice celibacy, abstain from unhealthy food and lifestyles, not care about our physical appearance, not seek validation, live selflessly etc.. 

He says that virtually every 'guru' (99.999%) you are aware of is NOT truly enlightened as they have not had a real kundalini experience and that by preaching wrong meditations they will accumulate bad karma. And that to achieve true kundalini experiences is so simple that these gurus have to teach all this 'other stuff' because nobody would need to see/follow them if they knew how simple it was. (which means that they are teaching for some egotistical reason)

to achieve real kundalini experiences, only a very simple technique is required. Silence of the mind. The very moment before you fall asleep and wake up from sleep you achieve a total silence of the mind, when this happens only 1 of 3 things will happen: you will fall asleep (as happens every night of your life), a thought will enter your mind (and end the silence), or you progress to the next stage which is the 'take over/let go' stage where a 'higher power' takes control of your body and you will have a glimpse of inner reality, it is when prana enters your sushhuma and kundalini awakens. this stage only lasts for a fraction of a second before the final stage is achieved: Samadhi. you will achieve either 1 of 2 states of Samadhi: 1. jnana Samadhi " Intense Experiences giving an insight and knowledge into your true/real/higher/spiritual nature and the true cosmic nature/cosmic reality" or 2. Kriya Samadhi " Intense Spiritual Experiences giving an insight into and knowledge about your spiritual nervous system, spiritual nerve currents, awakening of your spiritual body, workings of Kundalini and Prana and their functions, etc."

So basically to achieve, you have to 'meditate on silence', which is using that state (right before you fall asleep when all your thoughts drop off. also same state as when very first waking up), and staying in this state so that you don't actually fall asleep and also to avoid thoughts entering your mind. No other form of meditation is needed...

...all forms of meditation are wrong. they are all mental activities which is the opposite of what you want to do. focusing on bodily sensations is wrong (you don't need to know how all the cells in your body work to experience life, and focusing too much on specific parts brings 'hyper awareness' to the area and allows like too much energy to it or something like that which is not good), mantra meditations are wrong (it is a mental activity which is not achieving true silence. It is only good to use the mantra as a means of making the mantra the sole object of your thoughts, and then dropping the mantra as well which means you then have true silence. but it is often taken too far and misses the point completely, this is the same with any form of concentration meditation, the sole purpose is to reduce your entire awareness to the single object/thought and then drop that object/thought as well which will leave silence), self enqiry is wrong (something to do with, if you are asking this question then you are still doing a mental activity and that if you really knew the answer then there is no need to ask this question at all, you are basically driving yourself crazy and having an internal forum instead of achieving silence)

also, something about your 'higher/spiritual self' (I can't remember if he actually uses them words, I'm just trying to paraphrase what I remember) TRULY knows whether you are ready for a kundalini experience, and it will not happen if your intentions are not 'pure' (by that I mean, it knows if you are trying to achieve this for any sort of ego fuelled reasons such as experiencing something few other people have, intentions on becoming a fake guru or spreading false info, escapism etc...), 

also, he places a lot of importance on celibacy and its something to do with keeping your prana as kundalini experiences require a lot of it and you shouldn't waste it on sex/fapping etc. also something to do with your nervous system, that doing this weakens the nervious system and that kundalini experiences require one to have a strong nervous system (I think he said there is a spiritual nervous sysem as well as our normal nervous system)

he also said something like kundalini is responsible for your breath, you don't have control or consciousness of your breath when your asleep yet you still breath, basically the kundalini is what keeps all your body functioning (but having kundalini experiences doesn't mean you will be free of illness etc)

some of the specific pages you should read if you are interested:

http://kundalini-brahmajnani.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/kundalini-in-nutshell-spirituality-in_91.html

http://kundalini-brahmajnani.blogspot.com.au/2016/06/kundalini-as-it-is-myths-about.html

http://kundalini-brahmajnani.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/kundalini-experiences-mediation.html

http://kundalini-brahmajnani.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/dangers-in-meditation-meditation-or.html

http://kundalini-brahmajnani.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/spiritual-heart-hritgranthi-bhedana.html

http://kundalini-brahmajnani.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/kundalini-awakening-through-pranayama_8.html

http://kundalini-brahmajnani.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/dhyana-or-meditation-techniques-silence.html

what do you all think of this info?

Edited by passerby

35 minutes ago, passerby said:

...all forms of meditation are wrong. they are all mental activities which is the opposite of what you want to do.

All forms of meditation are in fact techniques to prepare ground so that meditation can happen. Meditation can't happen to you, as you are.

47 minutes ago, passerby said:

that all these Kriyas, mundras, pranamaya, chakra meditations etc. are actually doing damage to your body

Anything you do in a wrong manner can harm you. If done in a proper manner nothing harms.

50 minutes ago, passerby said:

to achieve real kundalini experiences, only a very simple technique is required. Silence of the mind.

... but there is no shortcut to achieve 'Silence of the mind'.

52 minutes ago, passerby said:

he places a lot of importance on celibacy

You can force celibacy, you can control your sexuality, but that is not going to help. You will not be celibate, you will be only more and more sexual. Celibacy can't be a goal, it can be a consequence of meditative life , but it can't be a discipline.  

2 hours ago, passerby said:

He says that in India there are many severly deluded people roaming the streets who think they have reached enlightenment after practicing xyz meditation/yoga

He is misinformed. I live in India, I have never seen a person roaming the streets and claiming that he has 'reached enlightenment'. People in India very well know how to test somebodies 'enlightenment'.

1 hour ago, Prabhaker said:

I think I bastardized that when I said 'roaming the streets' (remember I'm just trying to do a quick summary of what I remember reading on the site, and I'm not good with words, so most of what I said would be a 'shitty translation' of what I actually read). But I do remember him saying that there are a lot of spiritual aspirants in india who have had negative results from practicing xyz meditation/yoga. 

I tried to find the bit where he said that stuff so I could have a re-read and make sure of what I thought I read but I can't find it now (but he difinately said something along those lines)

You will probably do better reading the links I posted as that is what i'm trying to summarize. I'm not saying its right or wrong, on the contrary I'm trying to figure out other people's opinions of it so I can also make a proper opinion of it myself.

Edited by passerby

Yes, indeed are dangerous for the unawakened state of being. 

I have yet to hear a spiritual teacher say that enlightening is anything but a silent mind. The kundalini model is cool and useful, there is still much I have to learn about it, but it's still a model at the end of the day. There's nothing silent about worrying or thinking about these things. As @Prabhaker as said, its about doing these practices properly.

Celibacy is ridiculous. 

Life is meant to be lived. There is nothing normal about excessively repressing one's nature.