Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryan_047

Working As A Teenager-good Or Bad?

10 posts in this topic

Hello!

I'm a 16 year old teenager living in a 2nd world country. My question is simple: Should I start working from this age?What benefits/consequences would I get from such a decision?

In my case I won't have to do physical work.I want to be a web designer.I am not sure if I should start working now or after I finish highschool and college.

@Ryan_047

There is nothing wrong to start working now, if you have the energy for it at least, it should not affect your school etc. 

I'm not sure but i think little work won't harm you. don't stop learning

It actually can be beneficial to you, when it comes to experiences especially in managing. BUT don't neglect school. In my eyes school has a higher priority.

@Anna The educational system in my country is very bad.It is actually almost the worst system in Europe.Basicly the school throws tons and tons of useless information to its students.I know a case where a student didn't learned anything at school but he became rich because he focused on his passion.

Thanks for the reply.

It's good when you start working. But don't settle for that job :P Keep learning and improving

18 hours ago, Ryan_047 said:

Basicly the school throws tons and tons of useless information to its students.

Sounds like most education systems then. Don't get me started on that one..:/

19 hours ago, Ryan_047 said:

Should I start working from this age?

There's no real 'should' or 'shouldn't' with anything in life. There are no rules. There is also no way to predict the outcome of either path. You could stay on at school and get nowhere. Or perhaps become successful. Or you could leave school and start working now, get nowhere or become successful.

Getting in to work can be just as rewarding as education. It gets you in to the industry and on a path. In some ways I personally believe that getting out in to the 'real world' and getting hands on experience, also becomming self-sufficient in the process is a healthy and productive course of action. Some people waste a lot on time in education because it is a nice, comfortable place to be and there's no real responsibility to face..until they leave.

Getting in to work teaches you responsibility.

The other thing is, in this day and age you can get back in to education any time you want. Sometimes this is a better way around to do things - get out into work and in to the world, live a little, develop a sense of self and some responsibility and then you get a better idea of what you might want to do later on. You may decide to go back to college or uni. Or you may decide to go in to business or whatever.

So if you feel your best option right now is to work, then go for it. Learning and education is important, but only if you are learning something that is constructive to you personally and you have chosen to pursue. You may not even know what that is right now. Learning for the sake of learning can end up being a waste of time and resource that you could have otherwise been using in a more constructive way like working and gaining life experience.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

I did not get a job so I can focus on creative projects, I am around your age. Buying the life purpose course and looking what you will end up with is a difference compared to that job were only you are making money. Discovering talents is really fun and is a vital part of living.

Edited by A way to Actualize

Life is when awareness hides in the idea of personal experience. ~ Matt Kahn

@Ryan_047

Work and train.

I started working at age of eight. I don't mean helping mom in the kitchen.

Just yesterday I joked with my mom she still owes me some bucks from that time. :-)

We wondered both how the world has changed. Today she could get in real trobles because of sending me to work. (Well, allowing me to do that on my own determinism.)

But it didn't do any harm. It felt good having the opportunity at this young age to have some self earned money.

You don't need to start full-time.

Education is key. But it must suit you purpose line.

~Chris

If you have to opportunity to start working then do it. You should be open to new experiences and working is a great experience. You will learn a lot from working anywhere. You will learn real life skills that you can apply to real world situations. These are the things you can never learn from school. School is all about theory and things that sound good in your head. Most of it has very little real world application.