Bodhidharma

Enlightenment as a life purpose.

4 posts in this topic

I've been seeking my life purpose for some years and there's a lot of confusion. But finnaly I had some lights in the way, one of them is to seek my spiritually and ironically it has caused me more confusion. That's because it seems to me that this path is quite selfish, I mean, whats is going to be my contribution from that? Is that even a life purpose? Plus, what's the meaning of college then? My mom thinks I'm craaaazy and I'm not even mentioning my father. Please give some insight = )     

In a way you have to be selfish. The way life is percieved makes a substantial difference in how you live it. In this case purpose, contribution, security in a future first and foremost, yet appreciation for the present is not even mentioned.  We are force fed as children that this is the way it’s suppose to be. This is the result of personal and collective conditioning. That conditioning is inherited from past generations which becomes the program in which you are trying to establish and maintain. A never ending battle of reaching, grasping, and longing for that goodie at the end of the tunnel. The great illusion to become psychologically secure. 

If your purpose is to conform to past tradition, cultural values, ‘the program’ then that is not YOUR meaning but a meaning that has been imposed onto you. 

Is it more selfish to comply with the program and as a result reflect all the confusion, conflict, and frustration on to society which inevitably will lead to unhappiness, sorrow, antagonism/violence? Or doesn’t selfishness as in making sure you are sane, healthy, holy by puting all ones energy into your own very being seem to be a more intelligent way to look at it? If you are sane, healthy, and holy ‘whole’ this will also reflect outwardly into society therefore making a much more, orderly, harmonious, peaceful, joyful, and compassionate society/world. Right? 

Which way seems to be less conflicting, more contributing, with a greater sense of purpose, or more of a substantial sense of meaning??? 

Their is selfishness, then their is selfishness with meaning/value. Selfishness with purpose  to me seems to me to be the more intelligent path. But that’s just me?

Edited by Faceless

@Faceless Thank you so much buddy, maybe persuing enlightenment can be in a way selfish but it can bring wellbeing to others as well, as you point it, that really feels truthful. Also, maybe purpose is a bigger concept than other people tell us, but that is something to contemplate on. You know man, actually as I was studying today it came me the idea that if I don't choose to isolate myself to persue the big E, I can help others spiritually too, as a guru when I reach some mastery. Again, thanks for helping. If someone has a different opinion please share it.

Edited by Bodhidharma