Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
B_Naz

Authenticity

8 posts in this topic

How do I become aware of what is authentic that I produce? So for example, I am a computer geek. I study Computer Science and enjoy looking at computer systems, technology, and programming. I see this as my authentic self (if there is such thing as a self but that goes onto a deeper level lol). But I clearly receive some sort of pleasure/comfort or even addiction to having these habits... So does this stem from the ego? Since it's about me and me wanting to do all of these things (such as study, watch, become involved in the technology world).

Then we have other pleasures such as sex, games, TV shows, etc... But can these also be authentic? If so, how do I know what I should flow with and what I shouldn't flow with? 

Should I do whatever I want?

You're not human, you're the universe

1 hour ago, Martita said:

Joy is authentic. Follow that. 

Very strong and yet simple... No need for joy, no wanting the joy... Just enjoy... Thank you

I don't think if you like programming it is automatically authentic. You could probably now switch to for example wood crafting and once you develop some proficiency in it you could also grow to like it. We like things that give us feedback and we like overcoming challenges. Once you would be proficient in wood crafting you would also get in a state of flow while doing it this would also give you joy. I am a programmer too, I like it very much but that doesn't mean its my authentic self liking it. It's more that I'm good at what I do and therefor can efficiently solve problems that make me feel better about myself.

As for sex, games, TV shows etc. I would call that distraction. I mean you can love a TV show but once you become conscious of what you're actually doing watching a TV show. (Distracting yourself from looking inward) It will quickly grow into a love hate relationship. So you should flow with it but at the same time look inside, what are you actually doing here looking at this serie, gaming, etc. Try to stay conscious at all times. This is the most difficult thing to do tough.

When I look at the word authentic I connect it more with the deeper connection you have with something or some people. A authentic relationship is one where you don't act through a mask of trying to manipulate people. You are radically honest with them. If you are angry you show anger etc. It is about instead of following the ego and trying to show a 'good' side of yourself, showing who you fully are. This is tricky I mean our whole society is based upon showing our 'good' side.

This can also be applied to your actions, a authentic relationship towards your actions is also based upon looking through your egoic desires. Here it gets tricky tough. You could say you love programming because you believe it will help the world, but how do you know this did not come from a ego constructed story. I'm still struggling with this myself.

6 hours ago, dude said:

but how do you know this did not come from a ego constructed story. I'm still struggling with this myself.

It's what I really try to find out. I guess I need to do more awareness of what I am doing like you said. Will focus on that.

@Nahm Great insight. 

7 hours ago, dude said:

I don't think if you like programming it is automatically authentic. You could probably now switch to for example wood crafting and once you develop some proficiency in it you could also grow to like it. We like things that give us feedback and we like overcoming challenges. Once you would be proficient in wood crafting you would also get in a state of flow while doing it this would also give you joy.

So I guess it not ends up in what we do but rather how we do it.

I don't know if this quote applies to the subject. But I just it love so much.
"Trues don't come from authority and hierarchy, Trues come from thinking of it yourself"