Dombey

Philosophy on how to live life for beginners?

10 posts in this topic

My question basically is - where to start when one is interested in philosophy on how to live life?

I started quite recently to get interested in philosophy and I started out with stoicism. I'm still reading Seneca (I love it to bits) and will get to Marcus Aurelius afterwards! I'm amazed how over hundreds and hundreds of years, human nature keeps dealing with the same kind of problems! I find it very refreshing to read and think about!

I had philosophy classes in school, but back then it put me off, it was too academic! The ideas were interesting, and after hearing from different viewpoints from different authors, I made up my own mind about the subject, thinking on my own, but that wasn't asked in school. Nowadays, I want to get more into philosophy, learn about it, at my own pace! I don't know a lot yet, which is fine since I'm willing to learn and broaden my mind in that area!

But besides stoicism, what else can I read about? Something that is easy to read and ideas that still apply to our lifestyle nowadays? Any author recommendations? Your personal journey when you started learning and reading more philosophical ideas?

4 hours ago, Dombey said:

But besides stoicism, what else can I read about? Something that is easy to read and ideas that still apply to our lifestyle nowadays? Any author recommendations? Your personal journey when you started learning and reading more philosophical ideas?

I am currently reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and I think that despite thousands of years that passed from the times he lived in, the philosophy itself is timeless and is independent from modern lifestyle. What's more that comes to my mind is that you shouldn't be filtering books that you read to fit your lifestyle but rather change your lifestyle to make it fit the certain way of life you want to live, but it's just my own opinion :) (I hope I managed to pass my thoughts in a clear and understandable way, I often have problems with that)

The Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle is a not-too-long, clearly written philosophy classic that covers many important areas of "the good life". Aristotle argues that all human beings want happiness. He then proceeds to explain what happiness is and gives almost practical advice on how to live a virtuous life as a social being, a citizen in a society. :)

This was the first philosophy book I ever read. I recommend it!

Anything from the Greeks and Romans is usually good.

But also check out Eastern material. The Buddha's Dhammapada is great. And there are many other examples from the East.

Western philosophy from 1000 AD to 2000 AD is highly intellectual and pedantic. Very little of it deals with actually improving one's life.

New Age type books from the last 50 years will probably be more fruitful for you. Like Carlos Castenada's work.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I loved Seneca and Marcus Aurelius Meditations. Do you know Arthur Schopenhauer?  Especially his "Aphorisms" and "Wisdom of Life" remind me of Seneca.

I recommend using the Great Courses and the A Very Short Introduction series to familiarize yourself with philosophy. 

Has anyone read "The Consolations of Philosophy" by Alain de Botton? I found out about it unintentionally, after binge-watching 'The School of Life' Youtube videos. I hear it's a great starting point for philosophy newbies.

The Dhammapada is great;

I also liked "The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are" by Alan Watts;   

And In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon (Teachings of the Buddha)  this is all the essential teachings from the Tipitaka. 

Learning about Panpsychism helps as well:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/panpsych/

And Process Philosophy:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/processp/

Edited by SkyPanther

The power of Now echart tolle......you will love it  get the fuck on it now.