Max_V

Learning to look into the future and be strategic

14 posts in this topic

I've always been quite bad at being able to zoom out and look at the big picture. My mind generally likes to think about and plan short term stuff, which I know is very counter-productive and holds me back a lot of the time.

I really want to improve on this. I want to be able to sit and vision what I want to do and stay inspired by that, instead of letting my subconscious drag me towards what feels good right now. Which most of the time leads to nowhere.

I have my diet right, I have my meditation habit set, contemplate every day, read every day, I think and contemplate my values and strengths every morning, I do affirmations to help with my self-love and acceptance. All great stuff and I'm proud of myself for having been able to stick to this, but I still lack the vision of what this will lead me towards in the future. Being able to delay gratification and get inspired by my future. I can't see what this will get me.

What resources would you guys recommend on developing this skill and capacity? I'm willing to spend a lot of my time getting this right.

Thanks

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@Samurai Y Close to finding it. 2/3 into the course.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

I guess once you find out - the vision will be clear, and you'll be able to plan and work strategically towards it - every small, short term thing you're doing will be integrated in your vision and will work for you. It's not that you lack planning or organizational skills, but the purpose to wrap them around it. Pieces of a puzzle are coming together, just be patient & keep up the good work, sounds like you're on the right track :-)

1 hour ago, Max_V said:

I've always been quite bad at being able to zoom out and look at the big picture. My mind generally likes to think about and plan short term stuff, which I know is very counter-productive and holds me back a lot of the time.

I really want to improve on this. I want to be able to sit and vision what I want to do and stay inspired by that, instead of letting my subconscious drag me towards what feels good right now. Which most of the time leads to nowhere.

I have my diet right, I have my meditation habit set, contemplate every day, read every day, I think and contemplate my values and strengths every morning, I do affirmations to help with my self-love and acceptance. All great stuff and I'm proud of myself for having been able to stick to this, but I still lack the vision of what this will lead me towards in the future. Being able to delay gratification and get inspired by my future. I can't see what this will get me.

What resources would you guys recommend on developing this skill and capacity? I'm willing to spend a lot of my time getting this right.

Thanks

The element that's missing is the most important one.

All the things you set up in your life are amazing and will pay very big dividents in the future, but without the life purpose (or more precisely your 4 hour zone of genius every day) you're gonna get unmotivated from lack of REAL progress in your life. I say "REAL progress" because the fruits of your zone of genius will be much more evident than those from all of the other things you do combined. Maybe 10x that.

So, figure out the skill you need to master, (once you have your life purpose) and do that for 4 hours a day. All the other things are just great accesories that will support your purpose.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu Yes I'm working very hard on it. I'm already quite sure about what I will want to master but it's still a bit vague in my mind. Luckily I'm only at Life Purpose Exercise #1, so that means I will have plenty of exercises to get clearer view on what I specifically want to do.

Nonetheless, I have ADD and most of the terrible concentration I have fixed through loads of meditation but I still lack the capability to strategically think and have clarity and order. That's something I would really like to learn as not having this skill is really holding me back a lot.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@Max_V Maybe the book Deep Work by Cal Newport would be a god send and help you with the ADD. The whole book is about building concentration and clarity when you work.

Btw, I'm curious, what are your top 5 strengths?

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu

My Top Strengths

1. Appreciation of beauty and excellence
  2. Forgiveness and mercy
  3. Curiosity and interest in the world
  4. Industry, Diligence, perseverance 
  5. Fairness, equity, and justice

With 1 and 2 being my signature strengths. So far, I've been thinking about my domain of mastery being the body. Movement, strength, efficiency all have been things I've always been really pulled towards. Freerunners, Yogi's, Bodybuilders, all people I really admire and look up to. Getting stronger and being able to use my body more effectively is something I take much joy in so this might be the thing I've been looking for.

Hopefully soon while progressing further through the course I will find how I will be able to combine my most important values and signature strengths with this domain of mastery, and also find a way to have a strong impact on the world.

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

You need to slowly integrate some organization into the system of your life.  That’s the way to do it.  

@Joseph Maynor I will keep at it, thanks for your suggestion!

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

31 minutes ago, Max_V said:

@Joseph Maynor I will keep at it, thanks for your suggestion!

Starting to work on scheduling is what I would recommend.  But look at it from a systems thinking point of view.  What you're already doing is a system.  So, what you want to do is start to refine that system, not toss it or pretend that it isn't there.  Systems thinking is very powerful for scheduling.  Your life is a system.  A proper system will make sure your needs get met, and that elements of the system that are not so good can be replaced over time by elements that are better.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

A lot of times the short term stuff normally leads to the big picture stuff.

Are you sure you're not just following the steps towards accomplishing the big picture? 

As long as your big picture is something you genuinely want, keep it in your vision by consistently reminding yourself about it. 

One way is by asking yourself the question every morning, "What do I need to do to get X?"

Then just keep following the happiness and excitement trail. Happiness and excitement are the path towards achievement. 

@Joseph Maynor I'm not knowledgeable about systems and how they work.

Could you give me some pointers on how to refine this system I already have?

@Martita I think you're right. I'm following these steps now that I think about it :) 

Nevertheless, I still have trouble setting up a schedule and sticking to it, and I'd love to learn that

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

Have you ever thought about hiring a coach? I think that would be perfect for what you're trying to accomplish. They'll keep you accountable on whatever you're trying to create. 

You can also try buying one of those huge wall calendars and plan your month out.

Cross things out as you go so that you see your accomplishments.

For some reason seeing yourself getting closer to your goals, and crossing things off oftentimes helps subconsciously.

Feeling accomplished can help to keep things going.