Annica

Letting go of ideals

5 posts in this topic

For two years now I am following actualized.org and my life changed in beautiful ways. In the last months however, I was noticing that all the ideas from this content and other self-help material built up a big story of how life should be. Everything that did not fulfill these ideals I pushed away or - if I engaged in it - hated myself for. That is a very poor way of living life I figured and thus tried to drop all of these ideals for a while and fasted on self-help. The results of doing that were wonderful. I finally feel like I got a lot of authenticity back and stop just acting on what other people told me was right.

It was a big trap for me to blindly follow the advice and I got out of it be detaching from the content. I sometimes think it is good to have a break even from the most valuable contents just to see what is true and genuine for yourself.

Just wanted to share that with all of you :)

Yes, I will release a video about this in the future. Ideals are a double-edged sword. They are necessary and at the same time create suffering and delusion.

All ideals must ultimately be transcended, but not too soon. They are like training wheels.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”

― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

I experience the same thing. I made a huge ass ideal about starting my business that I couldn't take the first step in two years...... I had so many angles to looked at, and every inch to be constructed in perfection that I missed action. 

Yeah, learning how to have ideals but not try to enforce them neurotically is a hard thing to come to learn how to balance in personal development.