Uncover

Not being taken seriously.

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am 21 and  have this problem of almost being treated like a child and not being taken seriously (respected). Most people almost make fun of me and girls don't even bother to "see" me.  Why is this happening? Is it because I'm skinny? I look too young? Or because I'm a little shy? I didn't even manage to get a girlfriend so far. Is there a solution for being more of a man? Truth being told, I want a girlfriend so bad, I want love. I'm not happy even though I'm fairy healthy, I go to college, I have a fairy good job, but "I miss" the touch of a girl. I always wanted it. 

Thanks! 

The paradox is that the more you want to be taken seriously the less serious people will take you. Stop giving a fuck what people think and just do your own thing. I happen to be a very playful and non serious person and I’ve noticed people mistake my playfulness as weakness sometimes. I’ve learned to assert myself because of that and they immediately recognize it. Don’t let people step on you and they’ll respect that. 

@Uncover

Do you take yourself seriously?

The world accepts the judgments we place on ourselves.

If your problem is that you don't feel respected may reflect on how you behave around others. Are you disrespectful towards others? If so, that's what you get back. Try to look at your own behavior from an objective perspective and ask: Does this person deserve respect? People may treat you like a child because you act immaturely. If you feel like you are mature, show it in good manners.

Girls seek these characteristics:
- Self-confidence
- Don't give a damn
- Status
- Original/edgy
- Indifferent

Remember that you should be able to be happy without relying on external circumstances, including relationships with girls. If not, something is wrong.

I think it depends on what you mean by being "a man". What you fundamentally need in order to be a male, is the body of a male. Society has created the gender of man and expects you to fulfill their requirements in order to be accepted by its people, therefore there's a lot of pressure among men (I don't claim to say that females have no social pressures). I think it will help you in your situation if you let go of trying to please society's requirements and just be your authentic self. 

5 hours ago, Uncover said:

Why is this happening? Is it because I'm skinny? I look too young? Or because I'm a little shy?

Here it seems you've revealed your self-confidence problems. This is good because now we have found a problem to solve! :)