Frode

Can you help me with this Contemplation Earworm Issue?

4 posts in this topic

Hey there!

Finished studying Peter Ralston's "The Book of Not Knowing," and was convinced that contemplation is a powerful way to go for enlightenment. Been doing it for 20 minutes to a few hours each day, but during these last two days I've just been HAMMERED by earworm! (Song repeatedly playing in your mind.)

Even more challenging; my contemplation is to continuously ask myself, "Who am I?", and the song that's stuck in my mind has THAT EXACT NAME ("Who am I?" by Casting Crowns.)

It's such a beautiful song, but every time I contemplate, the song starts in my mind and persists through the whole contemplation no matter how hard I try to focus on my awareness. 

Now, I'm wondering: Have you struggled with earworm during contemplation or meditation yourself? How did you overcome it? (It's especially helpful if your contemplation included words that actually triggered the song, as in my "Who am I?")

I appreciate any suggestions for how this ear worm can be slain!

The earworm cant be slain, im a musician, believe me it can be hell to have your favourite song going full blast while you meditate. What i find helps is something i call "Occupy The Senses" if you have an earworm then focus your outer hearing, listen to the silence of the room instead or the tweeting of the birds, your awareness can only be focusing on one thing at a time. Peas

Edited by Rilles
Added more information

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Rilles Thank you, Rilles! "Occupying the Senses" will be my go-to strategy to dub the earworms.

You can use it as a "free" mantra. Just echo the words when you hear them one of two things will happen. 1. It disappears-> success 2. It stays -> success