Anaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Meditation

23 posts in this topic

Hey guyes, here's my guestion

The past three years , I have meditated for an hour a day. However, my mind is still as erratic as a chattering monkey. What makes it worse is that my thoughts are quite emotional and feel so very real to me. I am identifying with my thoughts emotionally. I would really like to develop the ability to observe my thoughts without being overtaken by such emotion. What can I do to achieve this?

Best regards from Montenegro

Can you describe your meditation process?  Do you feel any peace during meditation?

1 hour ago, Anaaaaaaaaaaaaaa said:

I am identifying with my thoughts emotionally. I would really like to develop the ability to observe my thoughts without being overtaken by such emotion.

Trying to escape the emotions is what I do thats why I smoke weed and cigarettes to escape reality,that feeling and there is no difference in escaping emotions, I'm trying to feel the emotions and be okay with it, do nothing..mostly we create thoughts that cause us to believe that an emotion is bad or good or these thoughts are incepted through society. Meditation makes you more aware of your inner demons which you can easily address now I guess you should take this approach too of trying to feel the emotions completely and being okay with it..  Imagine feeling the higher consciousness emotions.. 

@Anaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Try to find that, that is already aware of thoughts and feelings. You try to observe from a person, but you are awareness itself so it should be effortless to be aware and observe. Without awareness there would be no thought and no feeling. Also who is overtaken by emotions? And who is aware of who is overtaken by emotions? Could one be the idea you have of yourself?

Hope I could helppppppppppppp

"The death of the mind is the birth of wisdom." -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

Ok I will try to explain because English is not my first language. :-)

My problem is that I am so attached to everyday situations, especially for those I labeled as beautiful. During meditation these "beautiful" situations appear one after another as a movie. Subconsciously, I start to smile and enjoy this "movie" until I start to be aware of what am I doing. :-) Suddenly there is a moment of silence and tranquility until another fantasy land pops in out of nowhere.

It seems to me you are trying to reject/ignore these situations because you feel like the correct way is to reject beauty/emotion. 
What you actually want to do is just see it for what it is. It is not the beauty of this world that is the problem, but your attachment to it. Use the noting technique (vipassana) to see this. 

Then ask yourself: why are you attached?

(Note that not attaching doesn't mean it doesn't exist... attachment is only suffering)

Edited by TwoDays

It's the opposite. I am not trying to ignore this beauty/emotions because I feel happy when I experience this state of beauty. The ATTACHMENT to this beauty is huge. I fall into a state of ecstasy... Shouldn't I be more present in a moment during meditation rather than fall into these kinds of state?

Do you mean to say that you get sucked into these thoughts and lose self-awareness and then have this "oh" moment where you realize you've been distracted? If yes, then that's indeed not helping your meditation. I'd logically think that meditating on thoughts/emotions would be the best targeted approach to try to resolve this. 

Yes, I am sucked into these thoughts emotionally. What do you mean by meditating on thoughts/emotions, what should I do exactly?  Doing some

self-inquiry work?

It is perfectly normal to have a "chattering monkey" in your mind while you meditate. Your goal is not to to kill him, but to keep him under control. Or at least more control. This is one of many automatic systems in our machinery, it's ok.

Pay attention to your emotions while this is happening. Your emotions manifest them self in physical symptoms, meaning you can feel them with your body as they come and go. The more aware you are of your emotions, the easier it is to control and contain them. 

:ph34r:

@Anaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I completely understand where you're coming from. This was happening to me A LOT when I first started meditating, it has gotten better, but no doubt the emotions still come up. I just tend to "wave" to those emotions as they come and go. It's easier said than done, but it has helped thus far along my spiritual journey, meditation, and everyday life.

Truly, I believe these emotions that you're talking about keep coming back due to the fact that these emotions still linger unconsciously in the back of your head. I used to, and still do at times, create resistance. I know you stated that you don't try to ignore these emotions, but perhaps there's some type of fear underlining them? Automatically switching these emotions with positive thoughts. Creating the type of happiness or state of ecstasy that you're referring to. Knowing that you're more than those emotions triggered by those thoughts (seems like personal growth is happening).

Unless we deal with these emotions directly, they will keep coming back. I always try to remember that they are nothing more than thoughts, stories, and try not to get sucked in so deep by them. I keep on breathing.

2 videos from 2 different sources on thoughts and emotions. If you haven't seen them, I hope they help somewhat!!

(lol at the way Leo is looking up at Teal :D:D)

Edited by Paul Simon

Lol! :D He says Oh my God!!! 

I didn't actually started meditation. -_- I have been meditating for three years man! :P And to be honest I thought that I'll get some bigger results and benefits or maybe I have huge expectations I don't know really...:$

@Anaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  You are being too passive with you meditation.

I view meditation as a very active exercise. I always start each meditation with an intention such as expanding my awareness as much as possiple.

Try keeping your eyes open and being aware of everything every sound, movement, breath... it is conscious awareness.

Remember that meditation is an exercise, and to benifit from it, you must increase its intensity... imagine doing 100 pushup for 3 years... you will not improve.

The same goes for mental exercises 

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

14 hours ago, Anaaaaaaaaaaaaaa said:

It's the opposite. I am not trying to ignore this beauty/emotions because I feel happy when I experience this state of beauty. The ATTACHMENT to this beauty is huge. I fall into a state of ecstasy... Shouldn't I be more present in a moment during meditation rather than fall into these kinds of state?

"Shouldn't I be more present in a moment during meditation rather than fall into these kinds of state?" is a reaction of trying to reject it because you feel like it isn't the right way.

Just notice yourself. 

If you notice yourself falling into this trap and then don't find the will to want to pull yourself out of it...ask yourself "have I experienced enough beauty in this world?" 

Non-attachment is almost like growing up into an adult, but you can't force it.

find what these thoughts, emotions, feelings , whatever are tracing back to. there is a belief or assumption or somthing taken for granted as true that isnt lingering back there. good and bad feelings and emotions arise from this. good emotions hide it just as much as bad ones do. 

Use the mastery process while practicing meditation, since you already know whats fantasy land and real try being more in reality. 

@Cabot Thank you for what you said. I'm so happy to know that there are more of us here from Montenegro. Also, haha, sorry, I think that I pushed the wrong button earlier. I meant to respond to your comment, but I think that I accidentally reported you. :D