Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sahil Pandit

I smell a counter intuitive mood being made

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I need your advice.

I have discovered that I no longer want to go school in person. Rather, I want to learn fully online, 100%. With that being said, I wanted to ask you, do you think this is worthwhile? Are you aware of how flexible it allows you to be? Also, do you have any experience with it?

If you do, please reach out to me!!

@Sahil Pandit

I have a formal education (Master's degree), but I've also done a lot of independent learning online. I'd say there's pros and cons to each like anything else.

Pros: Save time traveling. Less expensive so you don't have to go into debt. The ability to learn at your own pace and whatever subject you choose.

Cons: Not having a peer group. Not getting the power of an "in-person" lecture.

So if I were you, I'd make sure I balanced my online learning with in-person learning as well. Maybe go to some personal development seminars or join a club. Get best of both worlds.

12 hours ago, Sahil Pandit said:

I have discovered that I no longer want to go school in person. Rather, I want to learn fully online, 100%. With that being said, I wanted to ask you, do you think this is worthwhile? Are you aware of how flexible it allows you to be? Also, do you have any experience with it?

I left my college and currently pursuing a correspondence degree in Arts. I agree with Aurum. Something I would add is that its very easy to get lazy and procrastinate. Also going 100 percent online is a real challenge since internet is huge and messy, so as long as you're specific and mindful, you're good, something I personally am striving towards. Just the room for getting lazy and dull expands since no one's behind you, you have no obligation or formal commitments, you're all by yourself. Specificity and discipline is vital. Otherwise I think its capable of producing striking results, so go ahead. 

On 2/9/2018 at 4:57 PM, Sahil Pandit said:

Hello everyone, I need your advice.

If you do, please reach out to me!!

#1 best advice is - test. test test test. don't commit major changes to your life if you haven't tested it out yet. 

I am not sure how this would mean for making a switch. but I do know that some of the common issues with online learning is, 

• not having a dedicated time or place to study 
  • not having the pressing will or expectancy that keeps you involved
  • losing the person-to-person interaction of a teacher/student relationship is a serious downside, is the #1 reason why school still looks the way it is, and will never fully go away
  • not having "tried and true" plans - having to teach yourself means you have to be the teacher but with all the limitations of the students - you are likely to miss a lot of nuances that you wouldn't get from a classroom experience
  • not having structured homework to give you pragmatic experience with the theory you're trying to learn
  • having a lot of distractions a lot easier to catch you and waste your education time

ultimately I wouldn't recommend it. If you've already graduated high school, and want to skip college - work, and learn. first thing to learn is - how to work full time without wearing yourself down... how to manage your energy. learn about that first. At the same time - learn about self-responsibility... habitualize all the personal care and homesteading you need to do to not get overwhelmed with the responsibilities of earning for yourself. THEN learn how to learn - and now that you've fit your work into your life without being overwhelmed by it, as well as the responsibilities of being independant, that is when you can fit in learning into your life. If you do it right, this'll be three years to get to that point - if you are lucky or already have a lot of those skills, then it will be sooner. 

If you can't do what I've suggested above... try to take that layout as a way to involve learning like you want to - from online/ your own research - into your life. if you are in school, and are unsatisfied with the learning - practice using your mind to learn during the class. notice the things the teacher is discussing, notice how you have more to your idea of it that makes you think she ain't qualified to teach, and then use what you know to explore the topic she's covering.

#2 best advice is - you never. never. never. stop needing to work on the basics. the basics are the basics because they are always being used. If the basics bore you, you're doing something wrong. don't undervalue them. Everything you learn, develops from the basics - meaning the basics integrate into every new facet to your knowledge, and in that way - are not "the basics" but instead "the core that complexly interacts with everything else about this field of study in such a way that you will constantly be evolving what "the basics" means if you're truly learning the topic" this is what the basics are. they are the core. the backbone. if you don't respect your bones, they will mesh poorly with the rest of your body, and your muscles and connective tissue will suffer too, and you will come with a lot of chronic pain. the skeleton is essential.. just cause it's called "basic" don't mean it is "something to forget about ever" - never forget the basics, or disrespect them. 

#3 best advice - know what your goals are. you want to learn on your own? okay, why? list all the reasons you want to learn. investigate what this means pragmatically, what you will need to do to accomplish those goals. spend time looking into ways you can fail, and figuring out strategies to accommodate to prevent failure, and to respond to failure if it comes up. basically #3 best advice is - never gamble what you cannot afford to lose. also, this is basically the same as the #1 best advice in this way ;)

never gamble what you cannot afford to lose. Quitting school to lern full-time as a self-starter... there is a TON of fail-rate to this. don't make a sudden move.. unless you have had enough experience to trust that you can do it successfully... and the know-how to backtrack if you need to. 

i recommend checking out Scott h young(hes m.i.t challenge, rapid learner and ultra learning)  he have tried something similar but i recommend you to be aware of what role a degree plays and then decide afterwards (in case you want to replace it with school)

Edited by BjarkeT