Lorcan

How do I grow my own food to survive?

4 posts in this topic

I want to grow food I can eat.

I want a high calorie count per square meter. I live in Ireland.Cold and Damp climate. During the Irish famine (according to what our textbooks have said) they practically lived off of the stuff.

I heard potatoes are high in calories. I am not looking to make a "fancy" aesthetic garden. I want land that will yield me as many calories as possible. Does anyone know a no-bullshit method to growing and harvesting. A pretty "garden" is not a priority or something I care about.

Does anyone here grow crops? If yes. How do you do it? Tell me.

You have a really good idea. I have something going here but I am in a different zone. The basics are you want to get seeds from people who are doing what you want to do in your area. Their seeds will be adapted to your zone. If their plants are big healthy and productive yours will be too if they give you seed. So go around and get to know people there and ask for the seeds that come from the plants you want to have in your garden. A green house is a big help in cool climates - you will have bigger plants, faster growing and have to water less as well youll have better germination. Set up a strong frame (depending on wind velosity there) and cover it with greenhouse plastic that is UV resistant. Youll likely get food from the green house all year around. Put organic fertilizer in the ground before you plant - almost no dirt grows awsome plants without fertilizer. Use minure, compost, seaweed etc. Bugs like gardens - pick them out during the day - some only come out at night so check with a flashlight when you can after midnight. Dont let them get out of control- ask people there what they deal with - even animals can be important to keep out of your crops. I use another idea - I grow wild plants in half of my garden - they are more nutritous, good and invasive, bugs doent eat them and under good conditions produce big constant yeilds, red sorrel, nettles, dandilion, plantain, these can be added to salads and are good and easy to grow.

Drop calories and sign up to nutrient density. Read books, watch videos on the subject. Its as simple as planting a seed and as it grows you observe, interact and grow with the progress. When you come across something you don't understand you simply ask questions or watch/read more.

This is a good channel i used to watch that has some excellent videos and guides on organic gardening and mimicking nature for optimal results.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OneYardRevolution

B R E A T H E

You may look into sprouting, for those there is no need for soil or fertilizers, you can sprout various legumes and seeds in a jar on your windows. 

It is a good idea for a start and sprouts are high in protein and super easy to digest even for a baby. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus