ahmet sukru

Talking to the camera

4 posts in this topic

Hi,
I am trying to make a video which I will talk and explain one of my works to my followers on youtube as requested. This is quite important to me because this is the first time that I will speak directly to them and I want to share my vision and make them want to follow me. And I don't want to make any cuts on video.
But it became a little crysis on me. I didn't expect this to be this hard because I am singing and performing to the camera with no problem. Also I don't have any problem with talking with people etc. But I see explaining something to the camera is whole another thing. 
I already postponed it 2 weeks and trying and failing to do that everyday for last week. I watched videos, (also Leo's public speaking video) but I still don't get what makes me fear that much and it is getting annoying more and more :)
Is it normal? What do you suggest? ( Joining to toastmasters or experience public speaking is really good idea but I should complete that withing a few days )
By the way this situation made me aprriciate Leo's work even more. Talking to the camera for 1+ hours straight would require insane amount of labor :)

HEY HEY, try this, it worked for me. 

When, I speak, I speak with emotions, my mind is shut from fear but when I went in front of the camera for the first time, I could not say anything, I am so conscious, It was a new experience and my mind was judging myself plus it feels a bit awkward. 

So, what I did? 

I failed couple of times, I think it is important, mind takes time to understand, your mind must be more comfortable now lets say when you went infront of the camera for the first time. 

Now, 

1. Write down the main points. 

2. Get tune in your emotions about how much passionate and energetic you feel about them.

3. Prime your mind, that it isnt a camera but infact a person, and speak your emotions about the topic to him and not the words. 

Tip

#1 If you feel conscious or fearful still then start with this, "admit how you feel"

I started saying how I feel in front of the camera to myself in that situation, like now I am feeling strange, this is awkward, I feel fearful or whatever whatever, just get it out, do not hold your emotions but speak them out and that emotion will vanish and you will find your flow and later just cut the beginning part while keeping everything else intact. :D

If it work, do thanks me, first person, I am helping here :P

@ahmet sukru

What I've noticed from building my own youtube channel is that you have to get into that flow state where you're not filtering yourself.

The key to that is not to try. If I'm not feeling charismatic, I'm not going to force it. I'm just going to accept that's where I'm at.

If I do that right, what happens is that after a couple minutes I start getting much more flowy. It's just thought in => thought out, thought in => thought out.

So lower the bar of what you expect to be good. Then it will build from there.

@ahmet sukru  Hello!

It may be the "no-feedback" factor that stomps you.

When explaining something one always look for ques that the recipiant understands you and you also continuesly calibrate your message based on that feedback.

Try to place a person behind the camera in eye lvl and speak to that one.