Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adam M

One book at a time vs many books

6 posts in this topic

is it better to read one book at a time cover to cover

or

is it better to jump between books that you find most relevant to your current mental state, sometimes leaving them half finished but eventually finishing them

thoughts?

I sometimes notice myself jumping between the same 5 books, usually all of them are about the topics that are most important to me in my life right now

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

@Adam M Personally, I do a better job applying what I've learned when focusing on one book with some seriousness. When I jump around, it indicates to me that I am in a state of curiosity. Perhaps your experience is different. 

nothing is anything

I like having several books started at once. Helps keep the momentum going if I get stuck or demotivated with one of them.

Sometimes a book is great, but then peters out half way through, or rambles too long. And sometimes I just get fed up with the topic and get curious about something else.

Really great books, of course, are worth 100% focus. But those kinds of books are rare and it will happen naturally when you find one that you can't put it down.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura yeah I find myself getting bored of certain books halfway through, although I will eventually return to them

it helps to motivate me to read more if I have new books to read with new and exciting ideas and info

my bookshelf is like a mini-library with many of the top rated books from the book list and the ones that I have read have been life changing, thanks for making the book list so great!

@eskwire I definitely see understand why it would be easier to apply the info from one book by devoting all your attention to one book at a time

However my interests in my life often fluctuate quicker than I can finish an entire book, so I have to switch between 4-5 books at the same time

I noticed that I am more likely to apply what I learn if I am emotionally engaged in what I'm reading because it is relevant to what I am focused on in my life at the moment

@Adam M

Occasionally I'll jump around if I make the decision that a book really just isn't worth pursuing. But usually I like to go all the way with one book at a time. It's a principle thing of finishing a job once you start it.