Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
electroBeam

How possible is a career revolving around spirituality

8 posts in this topic

How easy is it to make a living, where the work involves understanding reality on an empirical level, making ceremonies, possibly constructing temples and other consciousness altering devices, doing meditative chants, and using other spiritual tools to provide value to someone? 

I don't see many people out there partaking on that sort of career, if any really. Maybe the occasional person doing volunteering work involving this stuff, but not any paid work or work that provides a living.

To make a living these days, it seems like the only way forward is to partake in an intellectually heavy task, where the end goal is very logistical and myopic towards growth.

Is the reason why we dont see many partaking on the career is because its too difficult to do? Not enough of the public believe in the methods or it costs to much to maintain?

It would be amazing to construct a career, where the work is magical and mysterious, where the work advocates peace of mind and overall tranquility, and encourages being kind to the earth that you belong to. Shamanism is one of these careers that would be amazing to do full time.

Edited by electroBeam

It doesn't have to be taken that far in today's world. People are not that high consciousness at all so any services for them can be more minor and basic. You can still also discover something great for yourself, but the general advice you give to others is usually lesser. Most importantly see the magical nature of whatever work you do and if you feel like there isn't none or you're not working towards anything like that it might be time to consider other possibilities or you'll stay there forever.

I agree with YaNanNallari.

I remember listening to an Alan Watts talk where he describes bringing a playful attitude to the work you do - he uses an example of a bus driver who turns the act of driving his bus into a game (safely of course!); how can he navigate the roads most effectively, how can he keep cool under pressure etc. And then your work becomes a vehicle to awakening, as Ram Dass would say. 

And I suppose as you progress on your spiritual practise, there’s a stripping away of the inessential, and the different components of your life come under an order of sorts - you learn to live off less so less time is spent working, and you create more space to do more deliberate spiritual practises as you mentioned in your post and who knows, maybe you’ll receive a monetary or material reward for them, maybe not. But again, to quote Alan Watts “Find what you love and forget about the money” View money as the means to buy you time and space, nothing more.

17 hours ago, electroBeam said:

How easy is it to make a living, where the work involves understanding reality on an empirical level, making ceremonies, possibly constructing temples and other consciousness altering devices, doing meditative chants, and using other spiritual tools to provide value to someone?

Possible, if you're willing to grow yourself, become great with people and engage heavily with marketing. There are 'personal development' teachers or healers who are less logical then Leo and more mysterious. Meditation teachers, shamanic work, energy healing and any kind of 'magic' stuff (where I generally can't tell if there's anything real or if it's scam)... they're out there and get payed by people who feel good after working with them.

Your life purpose should also grow you spiritually. A true life purpose does this. A true life purpose make you realize, make you grow, make you feel love not only for yourself and what you're doing, but also for others. When you feel the beauty of it and the true, divine power, you also feel and know it will have the same effect on others, if done "correctly", with the help of the infinite, higher self. Life purpose inevitably is directed towards others.

You have spirituality when everything you do comes from something deep, infinite, something higher than illusion.

A career or business involving a true spiritual connection is 100% viable, because it is directed towards others, towards everything. Again, it has power if done "correctly".

It is also hard to be always in a deep connection with your lp (because of our own superficiality), that's why sometimes we may not be optimistic.

@student

What job do you do? If you're honest, does it really make you grow spiritually? Does it really work off divine love? 

Edited by electroBeam

Shamanic work if done properly requires a lot of training.  They are like spiritual doctors, so you can expect to be learning about acupuncture, massage, anatomy, different religions and cultural viewpoints, yoga, meditation, plants and herbs, psychology, philosophy, an understanding of diseases, ect, ect.

http://maryshutan.com/courses-and-workshops/

http://www.sacredhoop.org/

This woman has some great workshops.

This magazine is very informative.

I don't believe this line of work would make much money though. ?  one more thing, I would ask people who do this sort of work what it is like, they would know more than anyone here 

Edited by Annetta

@electroBeam i'm speaking from my own experience. Leo is right, your life purpose should make you cry. And you start crying by seeing the beauty of it, by feeling the "power", not "your" power, but the power of everything, of the universe.

When I was little I was in full contact with my authenticity, I did the things unique to me spontaneously, intuitively, and as I got older I further developed them through spirituality. Visual arts is the domain I'm active.

It can show you divine love, spontaneity, "perfection", but you must be in a "pure" state, the state you are like when you meditate. You need to be less superficial, less preoccupied with "me". The less "me" you have, the more you discover your higher self and have trust in you, in everything, in your work. 

Of course low-consciousness careers cannot show you that, because you must be concentrated on something else than your true self. But businesses promoted by spirituality is viable and can work very well.