Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omni

[Help] Poor Bone Structure

5 posts in this topic

Picture of my torso - I understand it's not the most clear of pictures, but it shows the asymmetry of my shoulders/collar bone and even my arms being uneven at the sides.

QTxLrAG.png

So I know this forums is not the best place to ask for this type of advice and I'll be looking for help in a few other places, but I figured I'd throw it out there to see what others are doing and if anyone has/had a similar problem and might have some advice.

Over the years, my posture as become very poor, this is probably from a number of things but I'll make a brief list below to give people a rough idea of things that I believe are the causality of my issues - and how I'm working on undoing some of them. Anyways I don't have health insurance and when I did it was only for a few months - though I was younger, lazier and more naive, in retrospect I should've taken the opportunity to find an expert's opinion. As i've been working on training my awareness and correcting many bad habits, the extremities of these things have been revealed to me as of recently.

I don't believe I have scoliosis, if I do it's a milder form and isn't very noticeable without an X-Ray or a trained eye. A large portion of the left half of my body is out of tact (keep in mind this isn't as dramatic as text makes it sound, but it is very worrisome and it IS a problem.)

My Clavicle(Collar bone) is slightly 'dislocated', the part where it connects to my sternum isn't the same as my right-side, and yes I'm aware people aren't as symmetrical as most bodies appear, but this is beyond the norm.

My shoulder bones (the tips on top) are not even, one is much more sunken down.

My arms do not sit evenly on each side, my left side is a lot more pronounced and away from my chest.

Here are some issues that I believe add to the problem:

• In 9th grade I was in a mild accident on a school bus, i landed in between the seats and on my tail bone, it didn't hurt that bad, but is certainly something to note, as I'm feeling mild pain on it now.
  • I was born deaf in one ear, and as long as I can remember I've had insomnia, therefore to slightly make it easier I've always tried sleeping on my good side to prevent excessive sounds from distracting me(My left side) - I now am trying to sleep on my back or the opposite side to potentially undo this.
  • Bad posture from sitting down/slouching a lot and playing games. - I am now persistently trying to undo this with meditation, exercise and yoga. - I rarely play games at all in general anymore, but I do sit down a lot of my day, which I simply don't have enough activities to NOT do that.
  • My mental stability/psychological issues have been improving as of the last 6 months, and I'm aware that mental problems can create physical problems, so this may be a cause.

This hinders my ability to sit for longer periods of time and meditate with less-hassle, and no I do not find it sensible to sit in this pain if it is ruining my posture/back health even more - as i'm aware you're supposed to experience 'all sensations' while meditating. Yes I still try for at least 15 minutes X2 a day.

Today while working out I noticed that my tail bone has quite a bit of pain while working out, which made it extremely difficult to finish my session. Yoga was a lot easier than working out though, so I may focus more on that.

If anyone has any suggestions besides "see a professional" (cause I'm already going to when the opportunity is there) - I would like to hear them, even if it's not the exact situation, I'd like to know a few other ways to approach this if possible.

Edited by Omni

Hard to see exactly since I can't see your whole body, put looks like your hip on your left side is higher than the other side, so the place to look for an answer could be elsewhere (further down). I would learn to active serratus anterior and sit on your sitting bones. I stumbled upon a fantastic site for learning about body posture and right muscle activation, it's called https://www.timanicommunity.com/info and are mostly for musicians, but I recommend you check it out even if you don't play an instrument. 

Seems like a progressed scoliosis, in most cases it is subtle unlike kyphosis or lordosis. I don't think this can be fixed without a lot of deliberate unilateral exercise.  

* You mentioned yoga.... excellent!!, keep it up! Look up yogawithadriene and her scoliosis video. This could be your starting point, from there look up similar videos. 

* you may want to try visiting chiropractic ( I assume you intend to do that already)

* there is a possibility that some adjustments via surgery would help you but this is best discussed with an Osteopath. 

* look up a good literature. Usually there are books for all anatomical conditions and pathologies. I have beaten my asthma with a book focused n proper breathing. Don't rest until you find the one that suits you!

Human bones develop along stress lines meaning that if unfortunately the stress comes from single side, they will grow to adjust accordingly. This is the body's way to adapt and to perpetuate survival even with a mild or severe handicap. The amazing thing is that the human machine has ways to fix itself if the stressor changes. So the best thing you can do is to make sure you are always well balanced, well postured, carry bags equally...that and of course finding someone who can guide you through this process...look for someone with at least 20 years for experience and who has done this many times, not a hotshot from the uni. 

Best of luck !!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Appreciate all the feedback guys, will be looking into each suggestion hoping for improvement, thank you!

Lot of people have problems and arent even aware.  .. they live with pain their entire life. .. . To me knowing your what cause you unhappiness is fixing half of the trouble. Now. . . I cant tell what exactly is your problem (shamely i would say your body looks normal if you dont scan it pixel by pixel) but since it hurts you must be right. I just wanted to share this video