Vinnie

Monasticism.

6 posts in this topic

Can anyone suggest any year round spiritual centers or monasteries? Or just advice for someone who wants spend prolonged time in isolation? 

I recommend reading the introduction to "so good they cant ignore you" book. Even though it's a career advice book, if you really consider doing it you have to read the intro.

@Vinnie   Depending upon location, there are many monastic options, pretty much all of which have some traditional religious affiliation. Although mainly Buddhist or Christian, there are also Taoist and Sufi monasteries, and no doubt other kinds. Whether or not they accept anyone who shows an interest is another question. A google search would hopefully find the closest ones, and answer questions about how to join.

However, the monastic life shouldn't be confused with solitary isolation. They are highly structured, community based ascetic orders, requiring mutual cooperation in almost every aspect of their operation, wherein everyone follows the same rules, schedules, diet, etc.  Even meditation is largely communal, albeit there would also be some opportunity for solitary contemplation. So while they are certainly isolated communities, they are not a place for someone seeking prolonged time in solitude. If that's what one is after, then it would probably have to be a cabin in some sort of unpopulated wilderness. Needless to say, that is not easy to achieve. However, it is possible, and countless autobiographical books have been written about such experiences. Again, google will reveal many, but one I really enjoyed was A Point of Vanishing. Also, here is a Salon article written by the author, as well as a good interview.

Thanks guys, I'll buy the book for sure and the question was definitely too vague. I'm leaning more to a cabin in the woods. A guy further along the path I met a few years back was on his way to doing just that. 

On 23/12/2017 at 4:12 AM, Vinnie said:

Thanks guys, I'll buy the book for sure and the question was definitely too vague. I'm leaning more to a cabin in the woods. A guy further along the path I met a few years back was on his way to doing just that. 

Why not become an ascetic? Leo always says that in order to become a sage, you need at least 10,000 hours of meditation. If you stay in a city, that’ll take more than a decade. If you move to the mountains, forest, jungle, etc, you can spend 20 hours a day meditating and 4 hours sleeping and begging for food (yes, that’s how most ascetics get food). If you do that for three years, you will have far surpassed someone in the city who meditates for two hours a day for 20 years. 

Ascetism is a catalyst just like psychedelics. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise I've thought about it for sure. Still deliberating as it's a crazy decision, but I'm the only person I know who would actually do such a thing, so why not... and like you said, 10,000 hours, or a decade...