The White Belt

Book addiction?

4 posts in this topic

For years i've been going round like some sort of hungry rabid academic.

Buying book after book. 
Half reading some whilst moving on to the other.

Injecting the KNAWLEDGE into my veins like heroin.

I buy many books. Some of them I don't even read. Lot's are to be read still, but I get interested in another topic and move onto buying the next book.

It never occurred to me that i'm just drinking in shallow concepts with out taking time to flesh them out and contemplate the main point. I'm just left with supericial mental masturbation. 

Leo's video 'Comprehension has many degrees' made me realise this. I knew it to a point but it deepened it.

I don't like wasting time which is why i try to get through so many.

How do I reconcile this? How should I read a book? How long should I spend on a book?

How can I organise and contemplate the main points? Over what period of time should i contemplate one man point? A week? A month per important concept?

Anything else you can think of? How do you guys do it?

P.S Tai Lopez reads a book a day! Loooooooool. What a waste. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

Jeez friend.. books are great for functional knowledge. To learn mathematics, language, science, and so on. If your are reading these books I don’t see a problem. If your are reading books about psychological, spiritual, and so on then that’s ok to. But remember in the psychological realm the book of yourself is all u need. “The book of man/woman” 

How can we learn about ourselves through the theory that somebody else has formualated? 

And a good question to ask is what’s the motive behind this addiction to knowledge? Be honest with yourself. U just might get an answer. 

@The White Belt

The learning is a behaviour change did it for me.

I've spent a lot of time reading/ taking notes but I would integrate actually very few of the concepts.

The best way is to choose an area where you want to improve and mine knowledge in it.

Just reading isn't gonna do anything, you may feel inspired for some time but that's pretty much it.

Even to feed and upgrade your mental model you would have to think everything trough and achieve deeper understanding.

I usually focus on one area of my life, aka life purpose, then put the notes in one note, then re-read the main concepts if I need to integrate them in my mental model or make a lists of practices of the book and work on them.

This is quite tricky and I haven't figured out everything yet but "just reading" won't cut it for sure.

@realname More spirituality books than anything. Osho, Eckhart Tolle etc. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki