Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heisenburger

Rejection therapy: Overcome any social fear in 2 hours!

7 posts in this topic

If you're someone struggling with social anxiety or wish you could be as relaxed as you are around your friends any time than listen up because this will change your life.

Nearly everyone is afraid of rejection, this exercise can help you overcome it in literally one day. Seriously actually realise what I just said IN ONE DAY YOU CAN DRASTICALLY OVERCOME YOUR FEAR OF REJECTION!

IN A SINGLE FUCKING DAY

That day will pass anyway, its up to you whether you wake up next week more free, more confident.

You don't need affirmations or to practice visualization for weeks, in one day this technique mindfucks you into not caring what people think.

It is going to be scary at first, but quickly becomes one of the funniest things you'll ever do, I look back on the day I did this as one of my favourite days this year I had so much fun!

Rejection therapy:

In a nutshell instead of running from it we make rejection the goal.

Basically what you do is you go into town and you embaress yourself, you do everything you're afraid of doing. You make strangers think you're loud, think you're obnoxious, you look stupid and loud and attention seeking, and make yourself look incompetent, and its amazing! 

The idea being that once your brain sees rejection again and again it realizes it's not a threat and you're not scared any more.

Every excercise I did changed me, like I was pressing delete on old Fears I had.

Here's what you do, go into town and complete this checklist.

Rejection therapy checklist

Complete this checklist, do the easiest stuff first. This is all stuff I did and it was nerve wracking at first than become so fun.

- Warm up Ask a stranger for the time

- Ask a stranger for a handshake

- Ask a stranger for a hug

- Ask a stranger to buy you something

- Ask if a store has anything for free they can give you

- Ask a busker if you can play his guitar even if you cant pay

- Spend three minutes walking around a public space like a store and be clapping for 3 mins

- Freeze like your a statue in a public space

- Go up to an attractive girl and say an embrassing sentence than walk off eg "Hi I have low self esteem"

- Stand in a busy place and start talking out loud (150% louder than normal voice like a braveheart speech) about a topic for one minute to no one in particular

- Give three compliments to three random strangers

- Tell a stranger a really bad joke, that's not funny at all

- Lie down in a busy footpath

- Go into a store and look at womens underwear (if you're a man)

- Slotus position meditate in a public place like a busy sidewalk

Thats it, go into town and do all this in one day. It will change you, you won't recognise yourself after doing this.

I remember when first doing this I was terrified. I had to go up to a stranger and give him a high five. I was sure something was gonna go wrong, it was like I had a nagging voice in my head from my past telling me "You cant do that". But I went up for him asked him for a high five, he looked at me weird and said "why?" than gave me a high five. It was such a small thing but it built up momentum for me to do tougher and tougher challenges until I was desensitized.

If you're too scared to do it, or know it will be exactly what you need but are not going to do it:

- If this is too scary and you're not gonna do it, don't worry about it, just notice every time you are scared to do something like talk to a girl, you can at any time do this excercise. Just think "Im scared now but at any time I can decide to spend a day doing the rejection therapy excercise and overcome this forever by the next day". I guarantee you wont last more than a year until you finally say ENOUGH and realise you need to fix this rejection. Just wait for the day you say 'fuck it' and do this, you now have a way out of this trap of caring what people think at any time.

- GO WITH SOME FRIENDS! If I did this by myself I don't know if I would have the courage to do it, but the social commitment of doing it almost forced me to overcome my fear, as my friends were there to see if I got too scared. Just don't do the challenge in groups, make sure it's just you doing it so you take the weight of the embrassment. (you can still do it by yourself obviously)

- You can try taking cold showers, its a good way to condition your brain too take risks.

- This list may need to be personalized, eg if you're afraid of being rejected by a girl, go up to a girl and purposefully get rejected, this list will cover basic fears of social rejection, but add more to put yourself in the worst case scenario.

- THEY'RE JUST STRANGERS YOU'LL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN AND THAT TIME WILL PASS ANYWAY REGARDLESS OF IF YOU DO THE EXCERCISE SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO IT

Benefits I've received from it

- Can now approach strangers with no fear

- Actual confidence not just fake confidence

- There's so much stuff I can do now that I couldn't before

- Feel less and less the need to impress people or "I need them to like me I need to be funny or cool to impress them" this point sounds kinda underwhelming but it's AMAZING when actually live this.

- Remove the voice telling me "No ones gonna laugh if you say that" so now I'm funnier.

- I'm getting more approval from others, paradoxically since I care less I now dont fake my personality, so am more authentic and thus more likeable.

- Even outside of social fears am more open to taking risks more confident more secure.

Its hard to convey how amazing this has been for me, this list may seem underwhelming but when it's actually happening to you and you're not reading about someone doing it it's life changing. I actually feel like I different person than I did the day before I did this exercise.

Seriously try this you won't believe it!

Just imagine yourself saying 'fuck it' calling up some friends and going into town tomorrow to do this, this is possible for you it's a possiblity for you to start next week a completely different person having overcome your fear of rejection. Can you see yourself laughing with friends in town right now completely free from the fears that had been pinning you down previously, can you see yourself being an inspiration as you overcome fears that others have struggled with. 

Notice that right now reading this a choice has opened enabling you to completely radically change your life, if you've been asking how do I be confident THIS IS THE ANSWER!

Have fun and I genuinely wish you the best ;)

Edited by heisenburger

As someone who had very much fear of rejection I can't give you credit for this 'quick-fix' method. If you would say: Do this over the course of several months I would be cool with that. My way (which can be different from your way) was like this:

- Meet people, Reflect, Meet people, Reflect, Talk about the experience with a psychotherapist, started a yoga class(...)

It took me about 3 years (!!!!!!!!!!!) to be at the level that i would consider as normal like ask for time or chat with elders. I KNOW this is not a thing that you normally can fix in one day.

Edited by supremeyingyang

"Ask a stranger to buy you something" I would really not like this one, otherwise I think I'm fine, have even done some of these hahaxD

Here is another one: Go into a hotel and use the toilet they have, normally you need to ask in the reception, you can also use pool or what ever they might offer. If it says "hotel customers only" of course don't do it but they normally assume people are customers there.

Also if this is illegal in your country of course don't do it.  

Edited by Spiral

Thanks for sharing, but i do have to say that i really don't think these types of issues are solvable in one day. I would think that this rejection therapy could indeed do wonders if done repeatedly over an extended period of time.

Two weeks ago i lied down on the floor of a very populous mall 3 different times in different places until the security guards would ask me to stand up and i also approached 5 women and told them they looked good and went into stores and spoke to various employees as well and i felt great, and i believe that experience in itself has changed me for the good, but i need to do it more as it understandably didn't "cure" me. 

Edited by Coop

@supremeyingyang yes I understand I spent ages like that two, but try this excercise. For me it worked amazingly, and rendered months of stuff like affirmations ineffective in comparison. I recommend you try it you may be surprised.

I'm no stranger to this. In Highschool we had a game there we would approach strangers to get the most positive reaction. For example we would wait at the trainstation and ask business-man to give us a hug. What you write about is indeed good training.

Edited by supremeyingyang

Wow!  You’re doing real work.  Good for you.  This inspires me to get off my ass more.