Eva

Mental Health Problems Affecting Core Values?

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone have experience with core values being wrong and/or changing because of mental health issues? I suffer from several issues and I'm currently working through those with a therapist, but I have a feeling that the core values that I have found at this moment are even slightly affected by my issues. For example, I value simplicity, but it appears to be linked to my sensory overload and anxiety issues. Also, I value independence very highly, but I don't know if I would value it if I didn't have experienced trauma related to trust issues. It's also unclear to me will these traits ever leave me, or are they now forever a part of me and my personality, and the only "cure" is to learn to live with them.

Only time will tell for sure, but I would like to know if anyone has any experience with these?

I have many experiences like them but most recently I have experienced it after learning about "law of attraction" ,before knowing about this law I always used to help and interact with everyone who is in his/her bad time but now after knowing this law I get slightly afraid in talking to them when they are in sorrow

Values are shaped by personality and life experiences, I guess that can't be helped. It seems what you are talking about is (at least in part) what Leo calls negative motivation - "I value simplicity, because I don't want to be overloaded". I think you can take them on as values, knowing that they may eventually drop out of the top ten as you develop further.

Unless there is something physically wrong with the brain couldn’t mental health problems be a consequence of core values? Values being what we hold important, significant, based off what disposition we have that is influinced by our sub culture. Our beliefs, convictions, theory’s, and conclusions. Doesn’t a mental health problem imply confusion, conflict, and contradiction on how we view ourselves, others, and the world? Seems reasonable that mental health problems are the reflection of our dispositions. 

Why do we hold these values? This is worth investigating honestly isn’t it? If these values are passed down through knowledge and we accept them without questioning them objectively, this may be a red flag and the reason for this contradiction. Isnt it our responsibility to inquire into ourselves? Isnt it irresponsible to accept values passed down through knowledge without investigation of there nature and composition?

Are our core values when not inquired into diligently and honestly the reasons why there is so much mental health problems? 

Edited by Faceless