doucey24

So Good They Can't Ignore You - Discussion

3 posts in this topic

I recently read Cal Newport's 'So Good They Can't Ignore You'. Although I gained some valuable insights from the book, I found Cal's views regarding Life Purpose to be overly rational and narrow-minded. He especially underestimates the powerful role intuitive emotions and vision play in the discovery and selection process. He also seems to have a pragmatic rather than emotional bent, and thus his worldview remains obscured from a certain 'spiritual' essence that enriches one's LP and the self-actualizing path as a whole.

Or maybe his advice really does just apply more to common masses and that's what they want to hear right now: 'do the work you have (and grow to love it as you master it), not the work you love'.

Anyway, what do you guys think about his ideas? How do they integrate with some of Leo's ideas about LP?

Edited by doucey24

Yes I think he just tries to swing the pendulum to the other side a bit. So everybody is in the passion mind set and he tries to take them to the other side to balance it out a bit.

I think vision is sooo important too. I mean you could be really good at programming. but if you believe programs have a negative effect on the world you can't go so far because eventually you will burn out.