Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
benny

Identity Formation

6 posts in this topic

So I'm starting to do Identity work, meaning I'm trying to find/create myself. I've only just started studying the subject, but from what I understand, there are two components to the identity: a malleable component and a (somewhat) static component. The malleable component is our self-image, which comprises all the beliefs about who we are. These beliefs ultimately result in the behaviors we consistently exhibit, and so if we want lasting behavioral changes, we must change our self-image. The self-image is amenable to change in that you can uproot negative beliefs in the self-image and replace them with positive ones. In order to do this, a negative belief must first be identified. This leads me to my first question:

1. Once you've identified a negative belief in the self-image, how do you go about uprooting it? 

Next, we have our attitudes and values. These are the more static components of identity, which could be said to be the characteristics which embody "finding oneself". These are largely discovered through trial and error, as well as through value and strength assessments. 

Finally, once you've built your identity/ego up, and you have made it strong and healthy, you can then transcend the ego into a state of selflessness. This stage is down the line for me. Right now I need to strengthen my ego. This leads me to my second and third questions:

1. How do I strengthen the ego, other than doing identity work?

2. Are there any facets to identity that I'm missing? In other words, are there gaps in my understanding?

Thanks for reading!

I feel like the reason you had to keep bumping this might be because most forum folk are on board the train out of ego-land, not the train in the other direction...I don't really know this technique...I guess what you might want to strengthen is your self-love/ acceptance and focus on your true authenticity (who "you" really are behind the masks etc). 

From my perspective, finding your connection to nature and the infinite oneness would be more valuable than focusing on your individuality...but they both have merit I suppose...you can discover your individual limiting beliefs, values, paradigms, etc...I don't know... i'm not much help I'm afraid...but I did attempt to answer :) 

On 29/09/2017 at 5:23 AM, benny said:

So I'm starting to do Identity work, meaning I'm trying to find/create myself. I've only just started studying the subject, but from what I understand, there are two components to the identity: a malleable component and a (somewhat) static component. The malleable component is our self-image, which comprises all the beliefs about who we are. These beliefs ultimately result in the behaviors we consistently exhibit, and so if we want lasting behavioral changes, we must change our self-image. The self-image is amenable to change in that you can uproot negative beliefs in the self-image and replace them with positive ones. In order to do this, a negative belief must first be identified. This leads me to my first question:

1. Once you've identified a negative belief in the self-image, how do you go about uprooting it? 

Next, we have our attitudes and values. These are the more static components of identity, which could be said to be the characteristics which embody "finding oneself". These are largely discovered through trial and error, as well as through value and strength assessments. 

Finally, once you've built your identity/ego up, and you have made it strong and healthy, you can then transcend the ego into a state of selflessness. This stage is down the line for me. Right now I need to strengthen my ego. This leads me to my second and third questions:

1. How do I strengthen the ego, other than doing identity work?

2. Are there any facets to identity that I'm missing? In other words, are there gaps in my understanding?

Thanks for reading!

Hi Benny,

1. It depends on the belief. You either need to come to the realisation that the belief is not true, OR understand that you DO believe it is true, in which case you should attempt to change the belief.

Let's take an example. You discover that you are always nervous when meeting people because you have a deep-rooted belief: 'I am not good enough'. OK, now either accept that you are NOT good enough and do something about it (if you believe you are not good enough, say because you don't think you are funny, learn how to be funny) OR (much more likely, I hope) you discover that you are in-fact, more than good enough, just as you are.

2. By practising the above. Either improve on qualities you feel you lack (such as social skills or physical fitness, emotional stability, whatever) and / or accept that you don't need to improve yourself - there is no 'better' version of you.

3. I am no expert, but you seem to be on the right path. One thing I would say, is not to over-think or obsess about this, that will ruin your happiness. Remember simplicity in everything.