AilinKyung

What Is A Toxic Family?

11 posts in this topic

What do you consider a toxic family? (not to extreme; for example; abusive family) 

In my case, I consider my family as a toxic family:

They are gaining a lot of weight.

They are average and mediocre.

They are addicted to TV and computer games.

They can't control their emotions.

They are stressed all the time in their business.

They don't grow. They are unconscious.

My parents fight most of the time.

I don't admire them.

Today we fought on something really stupid and tiny thing. I'm crying right now. They are making me emotionally and mentally unstable.

One of my goals is creating passive income and living alone in 2019.

So...

I just wanna listen to your opinion. What do you consider a toxic family?

Do you know some great books about toxic family? If so, what is it?

Edited by AilinKyung

A family that isn't supportive of your aspirations. Will go out of their way to keep you where you are so they can relate to you. 

@Vinnie

My parents wanted me to work in their business; I hated their job; I neglected them during a year.

But,

Now, my parents are letting me do what I want to do.

They trust me more than before; maybe because I grow as a person and I am more responsible with my life.

I don't think they're toxic then if they trust you. They love you. Just let them be themselves and what you do from here on out might impact them to change their own ways.

@Vinnie I let them be themselves I don't try to change them.

But, what I hate the most is when they interfere with my life; also I hate having fights with them.

When I say my opinion while we argue, they think I'm being disrespectful and arrogant.

I'm just tired living with them. They are making me unhappy and frustrated.

Edited by AilinKyung

My parents are unaware and stuff but at least not pushing their neurotic ideas onto me that much. They do discourage me to do stuff though and left me without emotional support and sort of neglected which on top of my personality lead into years of depression. Although not having great support they at least let me do what I want mostly. I'm not especially happy with how things have turned out but at least I'm on this path now. I am still definitely grateful for all the good things after seeing my ex's family. They were so toxic. Shouting is a daily thing there and she was emotionally in a freaking tornado around them and able to be calm only around me.

What is a toxic family? Well anything that influences you in a bad way, for us regarding self actualization. I don't think there's a need for a more accurate definition, usually it's just a case of how toxic they are.

They don't sound like people you want to be around very often. Healing the Shame that Binds You and Family Secrets by John Bradshaw are great books to read if you want to delve deeper into toxic family systems.

1 hour ago, I Am That said:

They don't sound like people you want to be around very often. Healing the Shame that Binds You and Family Secrets by John Bradshaw are great books to read if you want to delve deeper into toxic family systems.

@I Am That Thanks! I'm gonna definitely reading it! :D

I love understanding psychology.

I love understanding what is happening around me. 

Edited by AilinKyung