SMI

Meditation And Supernatural

16 posts in this topic

Leo, I have a question, can meditation give  supernatural powers like flying. I have heard of a monk who lives in Nepal capable of doing that and much more.

yes it does,

If you keep meditating, you will also be able to shoot fireballs out of your hands too.

Well done  you self actualized people. That's the radical open mindedness you keep talking about.:)

@Murtaza

What I suspect, is that the "flying monk" is some sort of a metaphor. Body is still tied to good old gravity at this point in time. I would also add that, one enlightened person would have to have the motivation and drive to go do things like that ... who knows ?

Is this important :D ?

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

@Ayla No, it's not and I never said that. Just Radical open mindedness. Radical Open mindedness.:)

:) good then. I'm open to it. If you find out something, I'd like to try it lol 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

33 minutes ago, Sarah_Flagg said:

I would love to see this, I don't doubt anything anymore. xD

@Sarah_Flagg, I'll send you pictures if ever... :D

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

Where's the boundary between credulity and open-mindedness? Very tricky...

Something to do with pre-rational vs. post-rational thinking?

Nice topic there.

One sure thing though : you won't go far without a good dose of humor.

15 hours ago, Ayla said:

@Sarah_Flagg, I'll send you pictures if ever... :D

@Pierre, would you like some pictures too ? :D 

Sorry, don't take me seriously, just following up your "humor" pointing :)

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

@Ayla Sure !

Let's be honest, we don't really care about this enlightenment stuff after all, we just want to FLY !!!

1 minute ago, Pierre said:

@Ayla Sure !

Let's be honest, we don't really care about this enlightenment stuff after all, we just want to FLY !!!

Yeahhh !!! So Let's !

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

On 2/20/2016 at 5:04 PM, SMI said:

I have a question, can meditation give  supernatural powers like flying. I have heard of a monk who lives in Nepal capable of doing that and much more.

I don't know about flying monk, but I personally know some meditators having psychic powers. It happens that when for the first time a meditator attains to some psychic energy, some psychic power, the tendency, a natural tendency, is to exhibit it. And if he exhibits, sooner or later he will lose the power.  These psychic powers are the greatest obstacle on the way to realization.

The mind is always hankering. The mind is nothing but hankering, desiring something to happen. Sometimes it is thinking about money, to have more money, to have bigger houses, to have more respectability, to have more political power. Then you turn towards spirituality; the mind remains the same. Now you want to have more psychic powers -- telepathy, clairvoyance, and all sorts of nonsense. But the mind remains the same -- you want more. And if you want more you will remain ill.

Somebody went to Ramakrishna and said: "My Master is a great man. He can walk on the water."

Ramakrishna said: "Foolish! Because I can simply go to the ferryman, and with just two paisa he takes me to the other side. How many years did your Master have to practice to do this miracle?"

He said: "Eighteen years."

He said: "This is too much; just two paisa is the value of it! Your Master is a fool. Go and make him aware that he should not waste his life. It can be done so easily." Yes, this is what Ramakrishna is saying: all miracles are ego-trips.

On 2/20/2016 at 9:37 PM, Ayla said:

What I suspect, is that the "flying monk" is some sort of a metaphor. Body is still tied to good old gravity at this point in time.

Yoga says we have seven bodies: the physical, the etheric,the astral, the mental, the spiritual, the cosmic, and the nirvanic. As there are seven bodies, so there are also seven chakras, energy centres, and each chakra is connected in a special way with its corresponding body.

Psychic powers become possible as you go deeper into purities and perfection. For example, if you can move your astral body out of the gross body you can do many things which will be miraculous. You can visit people. They can see you but they cannot touch you. You can even talk to them by your astral projection. Astral body is beyond gravitation. Gravitation has no power over it. In the astral realm, you can travel not only in space but also in time. The astral body can trespass the barrier of time -- but only toward the past, not toward the future.

During a spiritual journey it is not necessary to pass through psychic realms. But that does not mean that you will not pass through them. You can pass through them with such speed that you do not notice them.

Patanjali in has a complete section of these sutras devoted to vibhuti pada  --  to this dimension of power. And he has written the whole part just to make you beware that don't become a victim of it, because ego is very subtle.