Achilles

Zone Of Genius

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. Can anyone give me a big help with my zone of genius?

I'm hard working trying to find my zone of genius but it have been a challenging journey for me. I know that my zone of genius is too abstract and I have to be more specific but I'm struggling with that. 

My actual zone of genius: Efficient and innovative thinking. 

Alternative zone of genius: understanding what triggers people emotionally. 

My actual zone of genius is because I'm driven by competition and challenges, with other people and with myself. The problem is that I am not reaching an specific answer because when I'm at my best, it doesn't depends of a "system". If I am playing a collective game, I would be giving 200% of me to apply my logical thinking as fast as I can in order to analise all the subtle nuances to maximize the efficiency of my game. It´s like a super saiyan mode. If I am running and trying to beat my previous time,  the same thing happens, when I am studying with someone, trying to resolve the same e exercise at the same time, same thing happens, but if I am alone it does not happen. It doesn't depend of a "system" although for me is a challenge. 

What kind of systems should I care about?

I care about efficiency, I would like to create the most efficient startup team of the world, however I can´t say that it's my zone of genius cause I have to master leadership first.

How will my "thinking" translate into real-world results?

That question lacks of specificity.  

My alternative zone of genius is because when I'm having ideias or producing a short film, I can easily strongly feel and that motivates me to get a lot of more innovative ideias to translate that feelings to other people, I can do it well.   

I would be very grateful if you could help me . Feel free to explain yours ;) 

Edited by Achilles

Ok it sounds like you've come to a conclusion on what your actual zone of genius is, but don't see how best to benefit from it.  Is that what you're saying?

Maybe ah. I know that I'm close, but I can't say you that I'm good at speaking or painting, I just can say that I'm good at challenges but I don't  know the action part of it. I don't really know if it is something deeper than challenges, maybe is just my mind being silly... What do you think? 

I'm still working on my zone of genius as well.  It seems to me that you have chosen competitiveness (as opposed to creativity).  Competition is dependent upon the failures of others.  Perhaps this is a negatively driven value. 

In my journey toward finding my life purpose, I believe I may have improperly chosen my top values so I'm taking another look soon and reevaluating them.  In the mean time, I have been doing one negative value release after another. It's been a serious struggle to declare my zone of genius, and by doing negative value releases, I have come a very long way toward enjoying the present moment.  I have done about 10 negative value releases, and the effects have been pleasant.

I was questioning myself about it and I understood that I can be competitive without trying to beat someone. My first value is excellence, witch is a high value.

Leo said me the following :  ” You probably don't love competing so much as you love being on your edge. You can challenge yourself without framing it as "I am kicking X's ass." Re-ground your aliveness into pleasing yourself rather than pleasing others. It will be even better.

The secret behind all the greatest competitors is that they are actually creators. They don't give a damn about what other people are doing. They are only competing with themselves to be as excellent as they can be.”

The problem here is that my zone of genius is being on my edge, but what the hell is that? lol 

I could forget about my actual zone of genius and choose my alternative one. Maybe "getting ideas with a positive impact on people's emotions" is a little bit more specific...  Not perfect :( 

Edited by Achilles

maybe being a genius is not the answer then?

great work doesn't come from smart people, it comes from creative people who do and try over and over, they don't achieve their great works by being smart. to know if that you are strong in some field alone won't get you far, you can have the highest potential to be a film maker, but people would remember your cooking, why? because maybe you cooked way more than anything else in your life but made two movies only, and the result was clear, more success in your life as a cooker than a film maker.

what i am trying to say, if you want to be REALLY good and rad and groovy in your field, you need to make hell more in it, try to do better, try different things, try to make it faster, more efficient (take less memory), cost less ... wait those are programming meters, have you every tried to become a programmer before btw?

Thank you for trying to help me cookiesliyr ;) . The zone of genius that I'm talking is a concept created by Gay Hendricks, he suggest that you would be much more fulfilled if you spend most of the time working on what you do better and you love to do that. I suggest you to take a look at the following topic: http://www.actualized.org/blueprint/zone-of-genius 

On 23/02/2016 at 3:54 PM, Cookiesliyr said:

you can have the highest potential to be a film maker, but people would remember your cooking, why? because maybe you cooked way more than anything else in your life but made two movies only

Wise words. I will remember them.

Tangibly, I have already experienced this with my CV and my previous work listed on it. From time to time, I am headhunted for the wrong job. This is work which I no longer want to do and I have acquired new qaulifications since then, so I will modify my CV accordingly.

Edited by Gus
clarity

@Achilles nobody can tell you that but YOU. Meditate on it and go through different choices you'd love to try and succeed, whatever feels warmer deep inside you, follow it. Once you make your choice take it as far as you can perfecting it with no expectation till you enjoy and perfect the result, Become a 'genius' in this subject/skill or whatever it's you chose. You won't necessarily get it right first time, so what? Accept it and move to another one it's cycle of life. Most never get to perfection level, forget genius level...hope you can see differences of different levels...good luck

Thank you Amplitude and all of you. I already chosen one: Envisioning the impact on clients through emotions ;) 

My advice is – you need to get a girlfriend or boyfriend, @Achilles. I believe it will be an eye opener and will highlight the opposite of your @Achilles' heel even brighter.

Excellence is the same as habit. When you constantly do something, you might become excellent at it. -Aristotle

What does that have to do with this post ?

Edited by Achilles

Well @Achilles, if you date you are more likely to shed light on your zone of genius. Mr Gura encourages dating too.

Excellence is the same as habit. When you constantly do something, you might become excellent at it. -Aristotle