Joseph Maynor

Is Enlightenment Where All Your Questions Stop, Where All Your Seeking Ends?

4 posts in this topic

Just curious.  The sound of nothingness is the only sound that remains.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

8 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Is Enlightenment Where All Your Questions Stop, Where All Your Seeking Ends?

All questions stop, all seeking ends but after a long journey. Right now we can't sit silently and wait.

Adyashanti's - The end of your world, suggests that it really all starts when you are at that stage.

Interesting book I've heard, think I'm going to buy it

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Let me quote what Shankara says in his commentary on Brihadaranyaka upanishad:

"And the knower of Brahman has already attained all desires ; he cannot for that very reason have any more desires. The Sruti (upanishads)  too says.'We who have attained this Self, this world' (IV.iv. 22).

But there are some who hold that even a knower of Brahman has desires. They have certainly never heard the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, nor of the distinction made by the Sruti that the desire for a son and so forth belongs to an ignorant man, and that with regard to the domain of knowledge, the statement, 'What shall we achieve through children, we who have
attained this Self, this world?  and so on, is applicable."

-  Brihad aranyaka Upanishad- chapter 2, section 4 - Introduction by Shankara

Brihadaranyaka Upanishad Chapter 4, Section 3, verse 33 states the following:

"4.3.33   He who is perfect of body and prosperous among men. the ruler of others, and most lavishly supplied with all human enjoyments, represents the greatest joy among men. This human joy multiplied a hundred times makes one unit of joy for the Manes who have won that world of theirs. The joy of these Manes who have won that world multiplied a hundred times makes one unit of joy in the world of the celestial minstrels. This joy in the world of the celestial minstrels multiplied a hundred times makes one unit of joy for the gods by action those who attain their godhead by their actions. This joy of the gods by action multiplied a hundred times makes one unit of joy for the gods by birth, as well as of one who is versed in the Vedas, sinless and free from desire. This joy of the gods by birth multiplied a hundred times makes one unit of joy in the world of Prajapati (Viraj), as well as of one who is versed in the Vedas, sinless and free from desire. This joy in the world of Prajapati multiplied a hundred times makes one unit of joy in the world of Brahman (Hiranyagarbha), as well as of one who is versed in the Vedas, sinless and free from desire. This indeed is the supreme bliss. This is the state of Brahman, O Emperor, said 'Yajnavalkya. I give you a thousand (cows), sir. Please instruct me further about liberation itself.' At this Yajnavalkya was afraid that the intelligent Emperor was constraining him to finish with all his conclusions."

Shankara also acknowledges this verse in his commentary on this Upanishad and further cites a verse from Mahabharata in his commentary:

"Vedavyasa also says, 'The sense pleasures of this world and the great joys of heaven are not worth one-sixteenth part of the bliss that comes of the cessation of desire' (Mbh. XII. clxxiii. 47)."

Edited by Shanmugam

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1