Shin

Split Sleep

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if some of you are doing this, and if it's effective.
Right now I work from 4:00AM to 11:30PM everyday, and despite going to sleep everyday at 8:00PM, my mind refuse to sleep at this hour.

So I was wondering, could I split my sleep into 2 or 3 sessions of 1.5 to 2 hours, with 2 hours of meditation per day on top of that.
I know there is people who sleep 30 minutes every 2/3 hours, but considering that I have to stay awake for 10 hours straight everyday that's not possible for me.

Thank you in advance :)

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I sympathize with your dilemma, but you won't get enough REM sleep. It takes 90 minutes to get into REM sleep. You cycle longer and longer the more hours you are asleep. For example the first cycle is only for 10 min., but the last REM cycle is about an hour.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

There is a term called Polyphasic sleep; which is basically sleeping multiple times a day. You can start triphasic sleep schedule to start with. 

On triphasic sleep: https://www.polyphasicsociety.com/polyphasic-sleep/overviews/triphasic/

Overview of sleep schedules: https://www.polyphasicsociety.com/polyphasic-sleep/overviews/

zbICA.png

@Shin I read a study awhile ago that most healthy sleep is when your body wakes up on its own every 3-4 hrs (split sleep), with a brief interval inbetween (when we usually take a drink of water or go to the restroom at night). When I go to bed, I fall asleep right away in complete silence. I usually wake up in the middle of the night (without an alarm or a distraction), and then go right back to sleep part 2. My night sleep is deep, and I always feel refreshed and energetic in the morning, even after most tiresome days. During the day I keep my emotional levels even, so my brain doesn't get over-stimulated - this helps sleep too. I also noticed that when I meditate longer, I usually require less sleep...go figure 9_9

8 minutes ago, Natasha said:

@Shin I read a study awhile ago that most healthy sleep is when your body wakes up on its own every 3-4 hrs (split sleep), with a brief interval inbetween (when we usually take a drink of water or go to the restroom at night). When I go to bed, I fall asleep right away in complete silence. I usually wake up in the middle of the night (without an alarm or a distraction), and then go right back to sleep part 2. My night sleep is deep, and I always feel refreshed and energetic in the morning, even after most tiresome days. During the day I keep my emotional levels even, so my brain doesn't get over-stimulated - this helps sleep too. I also noticed that when I meditate longer, I usually require less sleep...go figure 9_9

As a nurse, I can tell you that if someone says they awake in the middle of the night, they try to find a reason as to why? Bladder issues, ect. As its not the norm.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

3 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

As a nurse, I can tell you that if someone says they awake in the middle of the night, they try to find a reason as to why? Bladder issues, ect. As its not the norm.

Most of the times when I wake up in the middle of the night is for no particular reason, and I go right back to sleep with no problems. I also rarely dream. But will take your advice and contemplate on possible reasons why I wake up :) Though waking up in the middle of the night never bothers me or disrupts my rest in any way. I'll try to find that article/study and post it in this thread.

10 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Most of the times when I wake up in the middle of the night is for no particular reason, and I go right back to sleep with no problems. I also rarely dream. But will take your advice and contemplate on possible reasons why I wake up :) Though waking up in the middle of the night never bothers me or disrupts my rest in any way. I'll try to find that article/study and post it in this thread.

No biggie, just letting people know, it's not the norm and docs actually usually try to figure out why, because it can potentially get worse with age. They often offer a sleeping aid for people who awaken during the night. Who don't have bladder issues, ect. So, they will have uninterrupted sleep.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?