Joseph Maynor

What Are Some Basic Yoga Practices That A Newbie Could Do?

22 posts in this topic

I think it is erroneous to only associate yoga with certain practices in India, as if they have the monopoly on these matters. Although I do agree that the western gym yoga thing is not really what it's about either. Yes, there are some great wisdom to be learned from those ancient teachings no doubt. But times have changed and we have to upgrade all these old systems that were created before sitting on chairs all day and staring at computers.

Yoga simply means unity with God (mind, body, soul). And it helps when our bodies and minds are relaxed and agile and strong so that life and love can flow through while we (as god) watch the great show.

I think it's wise to learn the principles and fundamentals of all the most useful spiritual technologies and then create your own system based on your own findings and experiences. Integrate everything you learn from all aspects of life so that every moment of your life becomes yoga and meditation and an opportunity to live as an enlightened being. Use your breath and edges of physical/mental/spiritual comfort as a compass. Adjust course accordingly.

The eight limbs mentioned earlier is a pretty elaborate way to proceed and is not  that different to Buddha's noble eightfold path. I've also experimented with the five tibetans which can be a good basic routine to do in the mornings before meditation. They are just simple dynamic poses similar to the sun salutations.

Edited by Lord Bwyra

@Joseph Maynor Start by being more honest with yourself and others. Say what you think and do what you say. Become congruent. 

The unborn Lord has many incarnations. BPHS