Noname

Psychology And Enlightenment

9 posts in this topic

My question is:

will learning psychology and how humans operate will hinder or limit the enlightenment or self actualisation ?

im asking this because in psychology you're a human a physical body. And the work we do here is about the awareness and that we're not necessarily just the mind or body that there is something else (or nothing) there as well. The thing that's aware.

Edited by Noname
More info.

I don't think psychology will limit the progression because psychology is science. Pursuing enlightenment is a science of the spirit. 

I believe that some of the assumptions of psychology may be skewed or incorrect, but that is my opinion.

Mainly based on the observation  that psychologists often times have emotional issues they themselves can't overcome. I believe many also have serious issues with ego as well. I believe one day this field will catch up with what we are doing. Just some conflicting beliefs at this time.

@Noname There are some concepts and practices in psych that are about watching thoughts and modifying them. This is completely in alignment with spiritual work.

Of course, psychologists are behind on a lot of this. My therapist used the word "ego" from time to time. When i asked her to explain what it is to me, she couldn't. 

Like, they aren't mutually exclusive, they just don't get to play together as much as they should. You could help them play together so, in the future, a therapist could define such a word with some confidence. 

nothing is anything

@Noname It all depends on how you go about it. Remember, you do have limited time, so the time spent reading books is time not invested in spiritual practices.

But reading books is still important. It just requires striking the right balance. There are important concepts in psychology to understand, but just knowing psychology will not solve most of your issues, because they reside at the existential/spiritual level, way deeper than any kind of psychology.

So the answer is, ideally you want both, but in the right proportions.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Psychology and spirituality go hand in hand.

@Noname Thinking is helpful if it inspires adherence to the daily practices & leads to an individuals discovery of the non-thinking state. Otherwise, thinking is preventative to progress. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to hear ?

I will spend my time wisely 

its about self change and self knowledge; traditional paths are in a  sense psychological, and are helpful tho terms maybe revealing or confusing,if you can gain insight and perspective they are useful.

There are certain things in Psychology which will actually help you to see through some of the games your mind is playing.. Look up for 'list of cognitive biases' in Google, you will see a whole list of biases, which are basically errors in thinking.. And these biases serve the ego. 

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1