Anirban657

How Does Going To The Gym Build Character?

3 posts in this topic

I heard people say that going to the gym builds character. I myself experienced improved self control and more calmness. How do you think it improves character?

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi

One thing for sure, exercise has profound psychological benefits. Not only the neurochemical cocktail, but also the physical changes you experience, which will make you see yourself differently.

Resistance training is something you have to do consistently to see results. This will definitely build discipline, commitment and patience. 
Then there's the improved body composition. You start to look better and will thus, potentially, create a more positive self-image of yourself. This will inevitably change the way you hold your body for the better, thus making you more confident and benefiting your interactions.

If you've already working out, then you might pay closer attention to your nutrition as well. This increases your awareness about food and self-control. It's all a positive feedback loop. 

I've also experienced more mindfulness. Holding handstands, doing burpees, or squatting heavy forces me to focus entirely on the movement. It's as meditative as any other embodied practice. What you're essentially being more conscious during exercise, which will transition over to other areas of your life.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

@Anirban657 I find that pushing myself physically spills over to pushing myself in general with all of the other areas in my life. I have a lot more energy and focus for my team at work, my wife, my kids, etc. Fitness also makes it much easier to eat healthy. When you're working towards improvement physically, other areas in life get sucked into that theme in a good way. Like @Siim Land said, it benefits confidence, mindfulness, awareness.  It also results in a more calm state of mind throughout the day, making almost everything easier. I think all of these benefits lead to doing more & enjoying life more, which builds character. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE