Dan Arnautu

Sadhguru Claims You Can Accidentaly Leave Your Body During Intense States Of Samadhi. Thoughts?

49 posts in this topic

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. :)

I accidentally stumbled upon the video below on youtube. Most people on the spiritual path don't doubt that Sadhguru is enlightened, but what is your opinion on the following statements?

Basically, Sadhguru claims that having a piece of metal on your body, such as a ring or an anklet can prevent you from accidentally leaving your body during an intense samadhi experience or experience of ”oneness”. He also claims that he brought in the past someone back to their physical body by using his own energies in a very blunt way after that guy left his physical body unwillingly. This allegedly also put a tremendous toil on Sadhguru's body and made it age ”20 years in 8 months”, as he says.

This might have seemed extremely far-fetched to me maybe about 1 year ago, but since then I had a couple samadhi experiences (melting only with the room I was in and feeling it entirely, but not with the whole universe, haha) and I know what it feels like.

Should one be worried about these kinds of things when they do their spiritual practices? What are your thoughts on this?

Leo's input would be also much appreciated on this post, as he seems to know some things about the guy and he has way more theoretical knowledge on spiritual experiences than I do.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

4 hours ago, Dan Arnautu said:

Should one be worried about these kinds of things when they do their spiritual practices? What are your thoughts on this?

Satori is a glimpse of the ultimate... as if you are seeing the Himalayan peaks. But you are far away, you are not on the peaks, and you have not become the peaks. It is a beautiful experience, very enchanting, exciting, challenging. Perhaps it may lead you towards samadhi. Satori is a glimpse of samadhi.

Samadhi is the fulfillment of Satori. What was a glimpse has become now an eternal reality to you. Satori is like opening a window -- a little breeze comes in, a little light. You can see a little sky, but it is framed. Your window becomes a frame to the sky, which has no frame. And if you always live in the room and you have never been out of it, the natural conclusion will be that the sky is framed.

Satori can be lost because it was only a glimpse. Samadhi cannot be lost because it is a realization.

In meditation, first you will come to Satori -- just here and there glimpses of light, blissfulness, ecstasy. They come and go. But remember, howsoever beautiful, because they come and go, you have not yet come home -- where you come and never go again.

After Satori you have the taste, and the taste creates more desire. And the taste becomes so magnetic that you would like to rush into it madly. Now the Master is needed.

This is a turning point. Now all that you knew becomes useless, all that you had becomes a burden. Now the world, the life that you had lived up to now, simply disappears like a dream because the greater has happened. And this is Satori, a glimpse. Soon the mist will be there, and the peak will not be visible. The clouds will come and the peak will disappear. Now you will be in an absolute uncertain state of consciousness.

The first thing will be whether whatsoever you have seen was real or just a dream, because where it is now? It has disappeared. It was just a breakthrough, just a gap, and you are back -- thrown to your own world.

Suspicions will arise: whatsoever you have seen, was it true? Was it really there or you dreamed about it or you imagined it? And there are possibilities. Many people imagine, so the suspicion is not wrong. Many times you will imagine, and you cannot make the distinction, what is real and what is unreal. Only a Master can say that, "Yes, don't be worried. It was real," or a Master can say, "drop, throw it! It was just imaginary."

You suddenly feel an upsurge of energy in your backbone, in the spine: how you will decide whether it is real or unreal? You have been thinking too much about it; you have been desiring also. Unconsciously you are sowing seeds that it should happen, the kundalini should rise.

The first glimpse is possible, and you can be caught because of the first glimpse in a drug. It can become a permanent trip; then it is very dangerous because glimpses won't help. They can help, but there is not necessarily help coming from them. They can help only around a Master, because then he will say, "Now don't be after the glimpse. You have got the glimpse, now start traveling to reach the peak." Because it is not only to reach the peak; finally one has to become the peak.

To live on a high peak is difficult -- very difficult! -- and one would like to come back. Unless you become the peak itself, unless the experiencer becomes the experience, it can be lost. And up to the third -- samadhi -- a Master is needed. Only when the final samadhi, the ultimate, has happened, a Master is not needed.

Samadhi means that you are no more an individual. Satori gives you great individuation. Before Satori you are a person, not an individual. 'Person' comes from a root which means persona, a mask. Before Satori you are just a person, a personality, but not an individuality.

Truth is both: it is pragmatic and it is esoteric.

Truth is a mystery, and it can be discovered only in a mystery school. And this phase is going to be the most valuable. All that we have done before was a preparation. But everything in its time, not before; otherwise it can simply create confusion. And if esoteric work is introduced to you without any foundation, you are not going to work for the foundation, because that is not interesting.

The word `esoteric' simply means: you cannot put it objectively, scientifically. It is something inner, something subjective, something so mysterious, so miraculous that you can experience it but you cannot explain it. You can have it, but still you cannot explain it. It remains beyond explanation.

And it is good that there is something in life which you cannot bring down to language, which you cannot bring down to the objective world… something which remains always beyond. You can become one with it — and that is going to be the work of the school.

There is no need of planning, these are the mysteries of life, existence itself takes care, existence functions in a very planned way. 

3 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Satori is a glimpse of the ultimate... as if you are seeing the Himalayan peaks. But you are far away, you are not on the peaks, and you have not become the peaks. It is a beautiful experience, very enchanting, exciting, challenging. Perhaps it may lead you towards samadhi. Satori is a glimpse of samadhi.

Samadhi is the fulfillment of Satori. What was a glimpse has become now an eternal reality to you. Satori is like opening a window -- a little breeze comes in, a little light. You can see a little sky, but it is framed. Your window becomes a frame to the sky, which has no frame. And if you always live in the room and you have never been out of it, the natural conclusion will be that the sky is framed.

Satori can be lost because it was only a glimpse. Samadhi cannot be lost because it is a realization.

In meditation, first you will come to Satori -- just here and there glimpses of light, blissfulness, ecstasy. They come and go. But remember, howsoever beautiful, because they come and go, you have not yet come home -- where you come and never go again.

After Satori you have the taste, and the taste creates more desire. And the taste becomes so magnetic that you would like to rush into it madly. Now the Master is needed.

This is a turning point. Now all that you knew becomes useless, all that you had becomes a burden. Now the world, the life that you had lived up to now, simply disappears like a dream because the greater has happened. And this is Satori, a glimpse. Soon the mist will be there, and the peak will not be visible. The clouds will come and the peak will disappear. Now you will be in an absolute uncertain state of consciousness.

The first thing will be whether whatsoever you have seen was real or just a dream, because where it is now? It has disappeared. It was just a breakthrough, just a gap, and you are back -- thrown to your own world.

Suspicions will arise: whatsoever you have seen, was it true? Was it really there or you dreamed about it or you imagined it? And there are possibilities. Many people imagine, so the suspicion is not wrong. Many times you will imagine, and you cannot make the distinction, what is real and what is unreal. Only a Master can say that, "Yes, don't be worried. It was real," or a Master can say, "drop, throw it! It was just imaginary."

You suddenly feel an upsurge of energy in your backbone, in the spine: how you will decide whether it is real or unreal? You have been thinking too much about it; you have been desiring also. Unconsciously you are sowing seeds that it should happen, the kundalini should rise.

The first glimpse is possible, and you can be caught because of the first glimpse in a drug. It can become a permanent trip; then it is very dangerous because glimpses won't help. They can help, but there is not necessarily help coming from them. They can help only around a Master, because then he will say, "Now don't be after the glimpse. You have got the glimpse, now start traveling to reach the peak." Because it is not only to reach the peak; finally one has to become the peak.

To live on a high peak is difficult -- very difficult! -- and one would like to come back. Unless you become the peak itself, unless the experiencer becomes the experience, it can be lost. And up to the third -- samadhi -- a Master is needed. Only when the final samadhi, the ultimate, has happened, a Master is not needed.

Samadhi means that you are no more an individual. Satori gives you great individuation. Before Satori you are a person, not an individual. 'Person' comes from a root which means persona, a mask. Before Satori you are just a person, a personality, but not an individuality.

Truth is both: it is pragmatic and it is esoteric.

Truth is a mystery, and it can be discovered only in a mystery school. And this phase is going to be the most valuable. All that we have done before was a preparation. But everything in its time, not before; otherwise it can simply create confusion. And if esoteric work is introduced to you without any foundation, you are not going to work for the foundation, because that is not interesting.

The word `esoteric' simply means: you cannot put it objectively, scientifically. It is something inner, something subjective, something so mysterious, so miraculous that you can experience it but you cannot explain it. You can have it, but still you cannot explain it. It remains beyond explanation.

And it is good that there is something in life which you cannot bring down to language, which you cannot bring down to the objective world… something which remains always beyond. You can become one with it — and that is going to be the work of the school.

There is no need of planning, these are the mysteries of life, existence itself takes care, existence functions in a very planned way. 

This is an Osho piece. Cite your source.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just now, Anna1 said:

This is an Osho piece. Cite your source.

Everything I post is from Osho, no need to mention every time.

2 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Everything I post is from Osho, no need to mention every time.

I think there is a need. As you are trying to take credit for something you didn't write. Cite your source! 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just now, Anna1 said:

I think there is a need. As you are trying to take credit for something you didn't write. Cite your source! 

What harm it will do , even if I take credit ?

5 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

What harm it will do , even if I take credit ?

Wow dude, seriously? 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 minute ago, Anna1 said:

Wow dude, seriously?

Yes, it is serious !

1 minute ago, Prabhaker said:

Yes, it is serious !

Ok, it's like if I were to respond to someone with quotes by Ramana Maharshi or Nisargadatta, but passing them off as my own. It's bullshit! It's plagiarizing and it's disrespectfull to the orginal author. Think about it.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just now, Anna1 said:

It's bullshit! It's plagiarizing and it's disrespectfull to the orginal author. Think about it.

I am happy with whatever I am doing, some other people are also happy with it.

Just now, Prabhaker said:

I am happy with whatever I am doing, some other people are also happy with it.

What you're doing is fine...but cite your damn source! It's not hard, really it's not, write Osho at the bottom. See simple. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just now, Anna1 said:

What you're doing is fine...but cite your damn source! It's not hard, really it's not, write Osho at the bottom. See simple. 

If it is so important for you, I will mention it.

I'm going to call you out, everytime I catch it, so get use to it.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Please I took enough college English classes to know what you are doing is damn wrong. If you aren't knowledgeable about citing sources, that's your own issue and mistake.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Just now, Anna1 said:

I'm going to call you out, everytime I catch it, so get use to it.

I will not mind, if you remind me again and again.

2 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

I will not mind, if you remind me again and again.

Good, I will.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

3 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

what you are doing is damn wrong

I am not perfect , I am a very ordinary person. I can do mistakes.

11 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

I am not perfect , I am a very ordinary person. I can do mistakes.

Again, it's not hard, if you are copy/pasting, then you need to cite the source. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

9 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Again, it's not hard, if you are copy/pasting, then you need to cite the source. 

Even it is hard, you can't disturb me. I don't live in west. I live in different kind of culture, society, where we don't mind plagiarizing. India is an ancient civilization, what all masters including Osho is saying is the same truth , which is again and again revealed by different masters in the past. For us, it is a traditional knowledge, no master is revealing anything new. 

If you remind me to cite the source, remember my answer, it was wisdom of Osho.

26 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Even it is hard, you can't disturb me. I don't live in west. I live in different kind of culture, society, where we don't mind plagiarizing. India is an ancient civilization, what all masters including Osho is saying is the same truth , which is again and again revealed by different masters in the past. For us, it is a traditional knowledge, no master is revealing anything new. 

If you remind me to cite the source, remember my answer, it was wisdom of Osho.

You know damn well that most on here are westerners. Therefore, what happens in India doesn't apply. Just cite your source, why are you acting like it's rocket science?. .like you are incapable? I'm beginning to think you want to "be" Osho, therefore you have a much bigger ego problem then most westeners do! Very sad indeed. The fact that you keep replying with ridiculous arguments as to why "you" shouldn't have to cite your source like normal folk, leads me to believe you have something wrong with you. If that's the case, I take pity. Continue to pretend you are Osho.....

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?