Max_V

Deep Running Want For Approval

4 posts in this topic

I just found out how deep my people pleasing and 'wanting to be liked' tendencies are.

Was busy with my highschool exams, in the Netherlands they decide for 50% if you pass high school yes or no. So I was busy doing math and suddenly this hunger struck me, I had sandwiches nearby but I was afraid to disturb other people sitting close to me so I kept on denying myself to eat. Then after some time I just couldn't focus anymore and got in the middle of this panic attack, my head and stomach were hurting so much because I needed food. I just wrote a couple question marks at the last assignments and got out of the classroom.

Now I just feel this terrible shame and regret because I was not able to bring myself to just do what I really needed to do and get stuck in this 'what will people think of me patern.' 

How can I forgive myself for this. Even when my health is on the line I still feel like I need to be liked. How can I get this out of my system? How can I depend on myself?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@Max_V Thanks for sharing that insight! It's interesting because just today i've also done a few things just to please other people. At the time I didn't think much of it, but after reading your post I realise why I was doing it.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski