Fer Lazo

Tao Te Ching, Lao Tzu

14 posts in this topic

Anybody into Taosim?

For me it has been by far the most direct method into reality, but I don't see many people talking about it. Maybe it is just a personal feeling ,but it just seems and feels so real.

The books consists of 81 Verses.

"Without going outside you may know the whole world"

Indeed, this is a fantastic book. I've read it a few times along the path and I understand in more depth each time. This book is so profound, it has to be a go-to book for seekers out there :) totally agree with you

You're right, taoism is not very fashionable...maybe because there's no known taoist around. Taoism is so simple and natural and humble that it has no official representative...A very good point!

You can also try Tchouang-Tseu, it's fascinating. But often obscure. The great "translator" of taoism for the West was Alan Watts. Read "TAO : The Watercourse Way".

I just purchased the book. :) 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

Indeed. I've been reading the translated versions on the internet (yes, plural :P...just read one translation, and the original meaning may not be fully translated over) . 

I personally never found it very practical. It's all nice ideas but no method for getting enlightened is given. You're just taking the author at his word and filling your mind with spiritual fantasies.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I agree with everyone, by that I mean that anybody can chose whatever most pleases him/her and take in the knowledge it serves them. As I have studied Taoism it has brought me closer to understand my most direct realistic reality in life, which works in accord with nature.

Nature does nothing, yet nothing is left undone.

Anybody wanting to learn more about the experience of Taoism should read Dr. Wayne Dyers book " change your thoughts change your live" living the wisdom of the Tao.

Gotta disagree with Leo there. There is some really profound wisdom in the Tao Te Ching...but ultimately they are just words. It is the insight that is important. 

It depends whether you use the words to deepen your spiritual fantasies, or use the words as a means of reflection upon reality.

Edited by tryingforfreedom

@tryingforfreedom Understand your point completely. It is not in the words, but in the meaning of them. words only point you in the direction but you have to experience it directly to convey the truth.

"Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can have a word with him?"  Zhuangzi

@Leo Gura  for me "personally" the more subtle and paradoxical the pointing is the more I can rest in a inner knowing,because there is nothing to do or no I that can be enlightened. But Consciousness takes many forms so I guess that maybe your aproach is the strict logical path. However sooner or later you will wake up to your heart and it will blow your mind. Throw logic and doing out the window so that you can experience your "heart" . First after that, both mind and heart can merge. You maybe can't find any pointers to what to do here? That's the point.

"Those who understand the Tao delight, like cats, in just sitting and watching without any goal or result in mind. But when a cat gets tired of sitting, it gets up and goes for a walk or hunts for mice. It does not punish itself or compete with other cats in an endurance test as to how long it can remain immovable - unless there is some real reason for being still, such as catching a bird. Contemplative Taoists will happily sit with yogis and Zennists for as long as is reasonable and comfortable, but when nature tells us that we are "pushing the river" we will get up and do something else, or even go to sleep. More than this is certainly spiritual pride. Taoists do not look upon meditation  as "practice", except in the sense that a doctor "practices" medicine. They have no design to subjugate or alter the universe by force or will-power, for their art is entirely to go along with the flow of things in an intelligent way." 

Alan Watts, "Tao: The Watercourse Way", p.90

Tao Te Ching is very metaphorical and rhetoric. It can be interpreted in more ways than what even the Quran or Bible can. It puts my English class fears to shame.

People are going to interpret the poems very very very very differently based on their personal experience.

Its just slightly too ambiguous, and I have to agree with Leo, I love the book, its interesting, it has a lot of common sense wisdom in it, though its more like reading about opinions than practical advice.

Besides the effectiveness of the teachings largely depend on the historical, and economic context one lives in. Its teachings, like most social constructions, are neither right or wrong, better or worse,

It is a competitor to other philosophical teachings like stoicism, and depending on your innate values, political orientation and general interests, you will be drawn to it more or less compared to your peers

Edited by electroBeam

It's all a matter of preference the meaning we give to Tao or any other book/studies, Leo seems to have more of a truly logical approach of elightenment which is great, I personally prefer a more 'romantic'/'philosophical in teachings and Tao is excellent due to this, it allows us to have this transcendental "filter" to see what it's contained in it and it's applications in life, I like it very much.

Has anyone read the books the Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet? Taoism based on Winnie the Pooh stories by Benjamin Hoff. These two books were my introduction to Taoism and eastern philosophy. I loved it. I really got into it, These led to me taking a Hindu Mysticism class in university which led to my discovery of Yoga, which led to me to the idea that one can experience true freedom of one's self.

In the end, I agree with Leo in that Taoism does not provide any real guidance on how to achieve enlightenment, however, once a path to enlightenment is chosen, it does provide excellent contemplation material.