Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eos_nyxia

Sober Thoughts

8 posts in this topic

----placeholder text---- 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my mind a placeholder is someone so independent minded yet trustworthy that they act on one’s behalf when it’s needed while one is absent. They don’t seek influential power but act only from a place of benevolence.

Their humility compliments their confidence like a cool breeze on a warm day. They are the good Samaritans who do not judge.


"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is all there is, then it's all I have to work with.

 

 

Edited by eos_nyxia
Not another word now about any of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who exactly are "my people"? 

And what does it even mean to "find them" anymore?

Edited by eos_nyxia
To still be asking this question, at -----my age-----, after giving up repeatedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. Good questions I'd say. To my simple analytical brain there's two strands to the answer: support and reflection. 

Firstly, stick to the people who support you, want the best for you, give you attention you need and generally want to "big you up" in every way, and then reflect that support back to them in the same way. Conversely avoid like the plague, the people that don't do those things and that generally drag you down.

Secondly, notice the parts of yourself that appear or are reflected in the words, actions and traits of others. Nearly never in my experience do you find someone who perfectly reflects yourself, it's more of a pick and mix of attributes from different people - you need all those people to make a whole "you" reflected back. Sometimes it's even useful to see the crappy parts of yourself in others so you can become aware, but don't overdo that bit!

Why would you want yourself reflected in others? Because that's your centre or home position or cozy spot. You can add flourish and garnish to it, whatever excites you. 

Where to find these people? No answer. I'm working on that myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LastThursday

I've been sitting on your thoughts for over a week.  This part especially, as in, I'm not sure what to do with it... 

Quote

Secondly, notice the parts of yourself that appear or are reflected in the words, actions and traits of others. Nearly never in my experience do you find someone who perfectly reflects yourself, it's more of a pick and mix of attributes from different people - you need all those people to make a whole "you" reflected back. Sometimes it's even useful to see the crappy parts of yourself in others so you can become aware, but don't overdo that bit!

I actually don't know how much I want to see myself directly reflected in another, at least right now at this point in my life. I still crave it, and yet I still struggle with allowing myself to be seen. Intuitively, I know what you're saying to be true though!

Quote

 

Where to find these people? No answer. I'm working on that myself.

 

I'm usually pretty good with this part, once I can figure out what I actually want. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@eos_nyxia craving, desire, want, need, are the supporting structures of the temple, and need regular upkeep and devotion. 

Just notice to start with, nothing more. It's funny because I suspect I'm in the opposite camp where I actively want to be seen. It's neither here nor there though, I just see it as a natural disposition rather than an imposition as such. Freedom of choice is the way to happiness. It's like how an opera singer with a large dynamic range allows them to sing more songs and be more versatile. Being able to be seen, even if it wouldn't come naturally, would allow you greater dynamic range and choice. And, it wouldn't be a constant "on" switch in any case, sometimes you're unseen, sometimes you're seen. Likewise in my case, being comfortable with not being seen, would improve things for me too and make me less neurotic 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0