LifeandDeath

Minimalism - No Spending 12 Month Challenge - The Middle Way?

8 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of putting myself on a 12 month no-spending challenge, where I will not be spending any money, other than on 'essential items', like groceries for preparing food, utility bills, and that's about it. Any 'essential' items that come up along the way will be considered on a case-by-case basis. This means that I'll have all clothing that I need for the year, and no purchases what so ever. 

I've seen other people do this on-line and blog it and find it very interesting. 

Do you think it will help deconstruct my ego by eliminating all forms of unnecessary attachment to consuming, or do you think it's a form of self mortification that will lead to unnecessary irritation and deprivation? 

Has anyone done anything like this before and would anyone recommend it for a kind of spiritual detox? 

52 minutes ago, LifeandDeath said:

Has anyone done anything like this before and would anyone recommend it for a kind of spiritual detox? 

My parents has done this no-spending challenge for their whole life. They became very rich but lived a miserable life. They were very egoist and were under the impression that they were very spiritual.

1 hour ago, LifeandDeath said:

I'm thinking of putting myself on a 12 month no-spending challenge, where I will not be spending any money, other than on 'essential items', like groceries for preparing food, utility bills, and that's about it. Any 'essential' items that come up along the way will be considered on a case-by-case basis. This means that I'll have all clothing that I need for the year, and no purchases what so ever. 

I've seen other people do this on-line and blog it and find it very interesting. 

Do you think it will help deconstruct my ego by eliminating all forms of unnecessary attachment to consuming, or do you think it's a form of self mortification that will lead to unnecessary irritation and deprivation? 

you will ironically end up spending much more energy and focus on spending than the average person

it's like getting someone to stop thinking about cigarettes by taking the cigarettes from them - you'll go from thinking about it sometimes to thinking about it much more often because you're coming from a place of resistance, which charges the subject

wow, @Arman @Prabhaker ok, that's two negatives to the idea. I can see both your points. thank you, I think I will embody my consumerism instead of resisting it and be mindful with attentive awareness. 

Thank you for contributing as I feel that after listening to this feedback I have resolved an issue that was bugging me for a while. 

=) 

19 hours ago, LifeandDeath said:

I think I will embody my consumerism instead of resisting it and be mindful with attentive awareness. 

Well said! You'll save much time and energy. Ascetic urges are a sign of eagerness but can be a huge trap.

It all depends. I think the idea is great, and since I have been overspending recently, having the discipline this exercise would build is going to be amazing. Don't be a pussy, don't just agree with other peoples' opinions. This idea came to you, benefit from it. 

You don't have to be so strict, but I myself told myself not to spend anymore on unnecessary buys. Make savings that way, a cushion.

You don't need stuff, stuff, stuff. What for? 

Edited by Dodo

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

Thanks @Dodo

im not tossing the whole concept aside as I agree I'm obviously thinking about a no spending challenge as I'm in debt and I actually earn a lot of money and I want to break the spending cycle. 

But I gathered the challenge is itself extreme and could be a trap and lead to other complications, like unrealistic expectations, resistance, etc. it could have a shadow side which far outweighs the benefits. It could lose sight of the fact that I just need to not "over consume". 

I think I will scrap the challenge idea, and I already feel relief from doing that. I'll just live within my means and aim to overcome my unnecessary buys by reconfiguring my values. I haven't got to being able to save yet which is why I was wanting to undertake an extreme measure like the no spending challenge. But realistically, cutting back will be more appropriate and realistic.