abrakamowse

Advice About Introducing Kids To Meditation

8 posts in this topic

I have a daughter, and sometimes she has those outburst of anger, I know kids are like that but sometimes when she doesn't get what she wants she gets so frustrated, so I thought that maybe what we are learning can be helpful for kids.

Any advice about showing them something about meditation??? Anyone had experience with kids about meditation???

Thanks!!!!

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

I haven't had much experience of this. My attempts of getting my friends to start meditating haven't worked very well... yet.

I think leading by example would be a good way to influence your daughter. I wouldn't know how to go about this though. 

Well, she saw me the other day sitting on the couch with my legs crossed and she sat next to me in the same position.

Kids imitate everything.

:)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

6 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

Well, she saw me the other day sitting on the couch with my legs crossed and she sat next to me in the same position.

Kids imitate everything.

:)

This!

Best way is to demonstrate a strong value for meditation yourself. She'll naturally get curious why you sit every day for 1 hour. Then you can tell her that this the most single most important secret to all of life (which is true!) and that only ignorant people don't meditate ;)

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

@abrakamowse  Great idea, Then if you have to make them stand in the corner for misbehaving they'll have something to do with themselves. 

My toddler is 18 months old and he watches me meditate. He will mimic my breathing (he also does yoga too, and he's pretty good:D) but can only sit still for a minute or two. If you have older kids something I learned was to help them visualize grounding. Have them pretend they are on a boat and have them throw their anchor into the water and with every  breath out have them visualize releasing  their anxiety or energy (might have to call it their sillies/ wiggles depending on age)  into the ocean (you can ask the what colors they see, etc.) talk them through it and  talk about their hands, legs, breath etc. to bring awareness to their body. I have used this with many children who's parents have claimed they have ADD/ADHD and can't sit still. It works very well and it's easy for parents to do as well.

Also, it is very helpful to help them identify their feelings. I always validate my son. Something along the lines of "I understand you are feeling frustrated at the moment and I'm sorry about that. However, you can not play with batteries because they are harmful, would you rather play with this ball or read a book?" 

9 times out of 10 he easily redirects, the other times it's usually because  I missed my window for nap time and he is overly tired. 

Thanks for your comments,  very helpful indeed!!!