JKG

Computer Science + Consciousness

25 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Alex K said:

@JKG What is your arrogance about? How old are you? How deep are you into pure math?

It is not really arrogance. My ego just wanted appreciation from teachers in subjects in which I was good at. I still can work hard for subjects, even/especially when I am good at them.

I am 18. I have almost finished high school now. I took an advanced course in maths and got As effortlessly. But I am from Germany, so the system is a bit different.

I guess school maths is not pure maths. Sometimes I have watched some university lectures, or tried to understand the beginning of some maths textbooks. But not more.

@AndreiC Well my post contained three points: 

- You can't make a real breakthrough in fundamental AI without some serious prerequisites.

- You should be Really Special character-wise to enjoy deep software developement / CS / Math stuff.

- Going "against the tide" with any of the two points above tends to be a strategic blunder.

Does it really consitute a limiting belief? Each of us have been dealt some cards, do not they limit us? Are we really all equal while in here?

Our Mayan world seems to be so filled with global competition nowadays and competition marketing like "you can do whatever you want, anything is possible for you", you almost do not see where the authentic motivation crosses paths with gerbils in wheels. And I guess this is a natural vector of the system, it is not even malevolently chosen by anyone day to day, it's just an attractor. And Leo always teaches to choose counter-maisntream, counter-intuitive direction.

Edited by Alex K

@JKG You're certainly bright, motivated and disciplined enough to become a software engineer in my books, but anything more fascinating I can't tell as I've never really studied at school or uni, just getting by on low hanging fruits. Starting to study now at 28, I feel this incredible inertia of rusty cogs moving with each paragraph of material I sq3r through, so I need some oulet for my grief. Lol. Cheers.

Edited by Alex K

@JKG @Huz About the arrogance...

Its an extremely valid point. Once you start to think that you are becoming better than other people that do the stuff you might have as well just fucked up. Most people have the option to compare themselves only between small spectrum of people, like school lets say. In my opinion high school does not show much about how good you are at subject as they are not able to test many things that person needs to be lets say, great mathematician. Mathematics is not about learning and applying procedures on some problems in high school text book.

For me it happened exactly the other way around. Firstly I happened to be friend with a boy of my age who is basically one of the best in physics in the whole Czech Republic (considering a physics contest and some other things), he certainly seems to have values that would help him even outside of this stereotypical high school physics. I realised after finding out how way above he is that I am just cooking my own soup without looking on the other people. Here in Germany they praise me as somebody who is amazing in mathematics and physics and always ask me advice, its completely pathetic because I know that I am just a person that got a bit of interest in it but have not done the real work... and yet there would be more humbling appreciated.

This does not mean that you can not create a great AI unless you are the best (which you might be), I think that it is a false assumption.

When it rains, it pours like hell.
-Insomnium

My blog: dragallur.wordpress.com