Gavalanche

Understanding The Paradox Of Surrender

7 posts in this topic

I've read 'Letting Go" by David Hawkins and one of Leo's meditation videos is all about surrender. I can kind of get a sense of what it means to surrender in the context of a meditation session or some period of solitude when nothing is going on, but I've been running into some paradoxical stuff when it comes to trying to live my entire life this way.

I'd love to some fresh perspectives on what is actually going on during this process and how to reconcile it with more day to day living; making large life decisions, intuition, preferences and free will. Does "surrendering to life", "taking your hand off the tiller", "following the tao" mean following your intuition and taking conscious action on it or being more passive and letting life move you around? (The latter is usually a definition of low consciousness behaviour as far as I can tell).

Edited by Gavalanche

Thanks! I didn't know about that book. I read "Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing" and was fairly engrossed in it throughout, but became fairly ungrounded in my day-to-day life trying to go to work and so on! Would you recommend I finish out the Spiritual Enlightenment trilogy before taking a look at Dreamstate? Ah maybe I'll just get it and skip to the last few chapters :P

My issue at the moment is trying to tell which messages I'm receiving are the authentic ones I should follow and which ones might just be an egoic thing. There a couple that feel pretty authentic, but unfortunately seem logistically opposed to each other and I can't act on both!

As a alternate / joke suggestion for a video idea, maybe Leo could explain what the hell is going on in this thread: :S

Thanks for the sage wisdom Dingus! 

On 4/30/2017 at 0:52 AM, Dingus said:

Just remember that in the end it's all obvious and natural, not neurotic or contrived. 

I really would do well to remember that, in particular. I've been prone to spin many an epically contrived yarn, in my time, about my potential future.

@K VIL you still need to do your duties in the world and follow your inner promptings. Especially, when you don't yet see the bigger picture. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Knowing/recognizing your true nature is an understanding and a shift from identifying as the ego little "me" (vs just being associated), to awareness/consciousness. Which is who you truly already are...you just haven't fully realized it yet. 

You still go on thinking, feeling, walking, talking, ect., but you know the fundamental reality is your true nature. 

Hope that helped a bit.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

5 minutes ago, K VIL said:

How great would it be if I didnt do anything that i had to any more hahah

Technically, doing nothing is still doing, you're just "doing nothing" opposed to "doing something". The potential  problem of doing nothing is- no money, how will pay your bills, can't pay your bills, car get repo'd, homelessness. Thoughs things are simply the laws of cause and effect, it's a basic fact of life. Now, if you don't mind these effects, then do "nothing". 

But, yeah, it would be great to not have to go to work tomorrow!

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

22 minutes ago, K VIL said:

@Anna1 without my ego, I hold no desire to do something. doing nothing comes naturally. that is what i don't understand. or is this my ego speaking?

This is your ego speaking. Your true nature is the fundamental/substratum of all of existence, including the body/mind that you are currently identified with. You are the witness of the body/mind.

You are correct that awareness has no desires, but the apparent person does. So long as you are associated with the "person" (until the death of the body) thoughs desires will continue. Some can be let go of, but others, such as getting out of the bed in the morning, will stay. It's what allows the "person" to function after the shift takes place. If you deny such desires, the law of cause and effect, will take over.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?