Wyatt

Deep Insights Vs Mental Masturbation

10 posts in this topic

I've been contemplating, meditating, and doing self-inquiry for a few hours a week for 2 months, and my mind has developed all kinds of concepts, labels, symbols, and images for the way reality works and the best ways to approach it.

How can I tell the difference between an idea being a Truly deep insight that deserves attention vs. mental masturbation, or even worse, monkey mind? Is it based on my initial feelings towards it? The emotions I get out of it? My intuition?

You just KNOW.

But hey.. The best thing is to explore your mind for yourself. Remember that this is a journey until you die <3

Youll naturally know. And if you dont know, later down the line youll realise you didnt know and correct it. All experiences are good experiences. Good luck on your journey :)

appreciate learning of the complexity. look forward to transcending all of it and knowing it was all relative to you all along.  you can't skip the path,  but you can skip on it.  

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

"You will just know" has to be one of the least useful replies you can get to a question. 

From what I've gathered mental masturbation means having theoretical ideas that are of little use when put to practice or are useful ideas/realisations but since you don't actually ever put it into practice it still isn't of any use since you don't actually realise them to bring about change.
So I figure the way to see if an insight deserves attention and therefor has worth is if you put it to practice and it brings about growth or positive change. If after putting it to practice it doesn't bring about anything of 
considerable use then it either wasn't much of an insight or you didn't use it in the context that it would be useful in.I think you still have to put it to practice to find out though, otherwise the same insight can be an insight and remain a mental masturbation at the same time. 

Edited by HelloThere

Examine the motivation behind the idea by what it's ultimately leading to.

Is it to justify identity? Or construct a belief system? Is it creating separation in perception of the now or away from being aware?

Is it leading to liberation from mental constructs or limiting beliefs systems? It's it calling attention to being aware?

These are just examples of the many ways but essentially it's about discerning if the revelation has value for your seeking enlightenment, not just a clever idea that is a badge of identity.

@HelloThere totally agree, just "knowing" seems to be a paradox, as contemplation and questioning is dependent on the fact that you don't know. Putting it into reality to test its validity seems really practical for most concepts, but what about ideas that aren't testable at the moment, or are not a part of this reality (as far as I've experienced)? Are they somehow less "important?" I find it hard to discern whether putting these concepts into action have a truly positive outcome, can only seem to base them off of first-hand and vicarious emotions

@SOUL You have a point, trying to disidentify with ideologies seems virtuous

@Wyatt  Being virtuous could be a stumbling block, too.

Just seek to discover the motivations behind the revelations and find out if they are helpful to your goals or will distract from them.

Subjects only.. Lab animals.  Reflection of love or i am we are. 

Waken. Be one with all. 

If we as conscious can hold truth. Collapse religions/condition of mind.

Our mind is false reality. Find the ❤ look into the inner one of us. 

Look this isnt easy to state. I can blow smoke or level it out however its not easily written.

I am one we are. I love you. I love myself. Love life live love.

@SOUL said it well, 

5 hours ago, SOUL said:

find out if they are helpful to your goals or will distract from them.

"but what about ideas that aren't testable at the moment..."
Most ideas fall under this probably since you are not going to be putting it in practice at the same moment that you are having the insight. There is only one "now" so you'll need some sort of vision of how implementing it(after the "now") will lead to one of your goals. I guess that's also another example of mental masturbation, having the insight but not tieing it to an activity towards your goal so you feel satisfied for realising it(masturbation) but don't make an action item out of it(remains mental).

"..., or are not a part of this reality (as far as I've experienced)?"

What is the point of having an insight that you can never put to practice and therefore can never have it have any impact on your experience? Doesn't hurt probably, you might have a use case for it in the future. Though if you keep wasting time thinking about it without doing anything with it then you are just feeling good about yourself and wasting time that could be spent practicing useful insights.

Edited by HelloThere