Abe27

Continuing to work, or focus on other things?

16 posts in this topic

I am in the fortunate situation that I have saved up money and have a low enough consumption that I will not need to work in the immediate future. So far I've had a bit of work just to pay what little consumption I have. But now considering more, with changes to my job, resigning and living off the savings.

The idea is to not have to spend time and energy on work. But spending more energy on school and self studies for when I hopefully start university after the summer holidays. I have saved up the equivalent of 5 to 10 years of consumption. Which makes the whole idea a real consideration imo.

It seems almost clear to me that i should stop working, but it's a very uncontroversial thing to do, therefore i would like to ask if it seems like a good idea to others?

Definitely a good idea if you have the ability to focus. You can absolutely crush your studies and the remaining time can be used in other areas. This could be a great time in your life for massive growth, as long as you stay on your mission and do not sway from the plan.

The only thing is, make sure you have budgeted a significant amount of money if dismay or health issues hit. We always hear of others in the news and our ego thinks it won't ever be us, but it can happen.

Also, even 1 or 2 days a week of work can be big if you have time left over that you might be squandering. Use that money to treat yourself. 

27 minutes ago, WeMustFocus said:

Definitely a good idea if you have the ability to focus. You can absolutely crush your studies and the remaining time can be used in other areas. This could be a great time in your life for massive growth, as long as you stay on your mission and do not sway from the plan.

I would make one less thing to focus on. And while this would make it easier to focus on gaining skills and have massive growth. I also see the reality of it being "never put all your eggs in one basket", where i then would have one less basket, and put more eggs in the basket called growth for future gain. I suppose it's a higher risk strategy. Where i will try to keep focus on my mission as best as i can do.

33 minutes ago, WeMustFocus said:

The only thing is, make sure you have budgeted a significant amount of money if dismay or health issues hit. We always hear of others in the news and our ego thinks it won't ever be us, but it can happen.

Major health problems would be covered by the goverment. The only thing is having saved up enough to have money for food. This is the case. But i agree about your concern, it can be quite strange to not live a relativly normal life somtimes. Most need to work to live, i do not have that condition at the moment.

2 hours ago, Abe27 said:

I would make one less thing to focus on. And while this would make it easier to focus on gaining skills and have massive growth. I also see the reality of it being "never put all your eggs in one basket", where i then would have one less basket, and put more eggs in the basket called growth for future gain. I suppose it's a higher risk strategy. Where i will try to keep focus on my mission as best as i can do.

All of the successful people I have studdied focused on 1 basket. Once that basket was paying dividends, then they branched out into other areas and mastered those as well. 

The strategy your describing here requires self discipline and focus. If you have that, which it looks like you do as you saved up 5-10 years, I really see this as a viable option and a MOST ideal strategy for fast tracking studies. 

Just make sure you also optimize on your health, sleep, food, gym, etc. 

"Never stray from the way" - Miyamoto Musashi

9 hours ago, WeMustFocus said:

All of the successful people I have studdied focused on 1 basket. Once that basket was paying dividends, then they branched out into other areas and mastered those as well. 

I would say that you would actually be able to interpret me to that result if you wanted to. And my change in course is now just about spending less time on money, and more on learning, and improving my situation in the long run.

Just make sure you also optimize on your health, sleep, food, gym, etc. 

I try my best, exercise a couple times a week, sleep what i need, and actually one the reasons i can keep my expenses down, is becouse i eat healtly. Beans, eggs, rice, cabbage, other greans and a little meat/chicken dosent cost much. It's all the processed foods, candy, pre packed meals that are expensive.

The strategy your describing here requires self discipline and focus. If you have that, which it looks like you do as you saved up 5-10 years, I really see this as a viable option and a MOST ideal strategy for fast tracking studies. 

Yes, thats the hard part. I do, compared to most others, do quite well in therms of keeping descipline, but i also feel myself getting less focused than i would ideally like to be. I remember some years back i would spend all my free time watching educational youtube videos, of high quality in a subject or of a problem i was interested in solving. Where i now spend much more time than i would like to on online forums while listing to music, while this is good for relaxing, it often can turn into the default option even if i am relaxed, and actually moreso need something to do.

I'm unsure about what to do with it, i want the motivation and therefore decipline to come from within, since it will make my actions feel and seem much more effortless. But i am unsure about how to chance it from the moreso root couse. Which makes the regular, lower rick option seem more viable, since the failure but also reward is lower.

@Abe27

I've been hearing about this whole "not working" nonsense, and I gotta say, it's a bunch of hooey. Back in my day, we knew the value of hard work. We didn't have time for all this lazing about and "self-study" malarkey.

And don't even get me started on this whole "university" thing. In my day, we learned everything we needed to know on the job. We didn't need some fancy professor telling us what to do. We figured it out ourselves, through blood, sweat, and tears.

You know what the problem is with your generation? You don't know the meaning of hard work. You think everything should just be handed to you on a silver platter. Well, let me tell you something, kid. Life ain't fair, and it ain't easy. The only way to get ahead is to put your nose to the grindstone and work until your fingers bleed.

So here's my advice to you, kid. Forget about all this "not working" and "self-study" baloney. Get out there and find yourself a real job. Work until you can't work no more, and then work some more. That's the only way to live a fulfilling life.

And if you're lucky, maybe you'll die on the job, like a real man. None of this retiring and living off your savings nonsense. You work until you drop, and then you die with your boots on. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it should be.

2 hours ago, Shodburrito said:

I've been hearing about this whole "not working" nonsense, and I gotta say, it's a bunch of hooey.

The guy's got 10 years worth of savings, he's doing a whole lot better than most workers.

Back in my day, we knew the value of hard work.

You know what the problem is with your generation? You don't know the meaning of hard work.

What is the meaning of hard work? Genuinely curious what your views are.

How have you worked hard throughout your life?

In my day

How old are you?

we learned everything we needed to know on the job. We didn't need some fancy professor telling us what to do.

That works for some jobs, but many professional jobs require thorough learning of the topic. University learning is not a new phenomenon, people have been studies at universities for thousands of years.

We figured it out ourselves, through blood, sweat, and tears.

You know what the problem is with your generation? You don't know the meaning of hard work. You think everything should just be handed to you on a silver platter. Well, let me tell you something, kid. Life ain't fair, and it ain't easy. The only way to get ahead is to put your nose to the grindstone and work until your fingers bleed.

You're evidently trying hard to give off this persona of being the tough, older, more manly guy, but it's quite evident that you lack wisdom about life.

And if you're lucky, maybe you'll die on the job, like a real man. None of this retiring and living off your savings nonsense. You work until you drop, and then you die with your boots on. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it should be.

Why do you idealise torturing and sacrificing yourself to work?

@Pav It honestly seems more like satire than a serius recomendation. Since he says things that are by no means a respond or relevant to the questions of my post.

@Shodburrito Yes, exactly. Thats one "social reality", which dosent seem good, does it? My idea is to make smart decisions to hopefully better my situation, so i can live a freeier and better life. If that means not working and spending more time studying and attent university, then i suppose it's what i should do.

A wise person said to me, Mastery of any craft eventually puts people in a similar place. If you feel you've mastered something, to the point you've reached the beginning of enlightenment. You can either do it again with another skill, or follow that path now.

I watched a video on the alchemist story. Maybe you can find it for yourself, there are a confusing amount of similar titles to search through - a good synchronicity for the message of the video:

It started with someone seeking enlightenment, and through the video it demonstrated how people get fixated on aspects of life, distracted or perhaps meant to stay in those aspects for a time, and go through them instead. Eventually, years later towards the end of the man's life he realised that what he was seeking was always himself.

To bring that you, is to realise in you saying: You are seeking a freer and better life. Well that sounds like you doesn't it? Nothing much freer than existence itself, and 'better', what do you mean by that? 

What does better really mean to you? Does it mean going back to master something? Or does it mean you want a loving caring partner, or a the ability to sit down and enjoy life? A few friends who enjoy each others company? What is better?

8 hours ago, BlueOak said:

Mastery of any craft eventually puts people in a similar place. If you feel you've mastered something, to the point you've reached the beginning of enlightenment

Could you please elaborate on how the experience feels? Might very well be somehting i can relate to.

9 hours ago, BlueOak said:

What does better really mean to you? Does it mean going back to master something? Or does it mean you want a loving caring partner, or a the ability to sit down and enjoy life? A few friends who enjoy each others company? What is better?

Them all i suppose, at the moment it is very much about finding out what kind of work and career i would like to do. Having the basics solidly furfilled is something i see as important to make the rest fall into place, and have energy to then focus on them. I don't have much else to say about it, any more detailed explenations of the things i could be doing and focus on? It's not something i have though explicitly much about

Its difficult to put enlightenment into words, as it crosses so many diverse experiences and topics related to our existence here.

Mastering a craft, you'll find love or appreciation for the experience, or having had the experiences, and you'll start to see yourself even if you don't realize it at the time. At some point unnecessary things fall away, and you are not doing it for any other reason than to do it, you are fully in that moment.

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, Abe27 said:

Them all i suppose, at the moment it is very much about finding out what kind of work and career i would like to do. Having the basics solidly furfilled is something i see as important to make the rest fall into place, and have energy to then focus on them. I don't have much else to say about it, any more detailed explenations of the things i could be doing and focus on? It's not something i have though explicitly much about

Sure.

I'd focus on finding out, and put energy and effort into that. Personality tests can help but, I could list a hundred things, they'd just be words on a page. The experience of them is and knowing yourself is what it's about. It could be the opposite of your personality, which you are seeking to experience. It could be a journey of self-discovery itself, or enlightenment. 

From your words though, it's certainty you are talking about. I need to get this covered, make sure this is ready etc.

Here are two speakers on that:

https://tealswan.com/resources/articles/relationships-and-the-six-human-needs
https://www.tonyrobbins.com/mind-meaning/do-you-need-to-feel-significant/

Here is one of the main tests at the moment to start you off.

https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Edited by BlueOak

@BlueOak 

28 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

Here is one of the main tests at the moment to start you off.

https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

I really dislike the MBTI test, i often get diffrent results over time, at the moment its ITNJ. Much more like the OCEAN model of personality. 

33 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

Its difficult to put enlightenment into words, as it crosses so many diverse experiences and topics related to our existence here.

Alright, is it more of an emotional experience and awakening? 

34 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

Mastering a craft, you'll find love or appreciation for the experience, or having had the experiences, and you'll start to see yourself even if you don't realize it at the time. At some point unnecessary things fall away, and you are not doing it for any other reason than to do it, you are fully in that moment.

Sounds like deep focus buddy?

30 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

From your words though, it's certainty you are talking about. I need to get this covered, make sure this is ready etc.

Yeah, it's a construction, the story. And i do find it important to have the basic at place, so i can build upon it. It's like haveing a detailed schedule, such as i can be more spontainous

@Abe27

Doesn't have to be deep focus, emotional, or any intellectual thing you can think about, name, label etc.

Walking down the road, just to walk down the road, just for the experience. For me that's the end mastery of anything, there is nothing left but the experience itself, and one way to start seeking or reach enlightenment. 

Posted (edited)

56 minutes ago, Abe27 said:

@BlueOak 

Yeah, it's a construction, the story. And i do find it important to have the basic at place, so i can build upon it. It's like haveing a detailed schedule, such as i can be more spontainous

Sorry I am double replying, I just caught this.

You want certainty to have uncertainty and be spontaneous? Why not go straight to being spontaneous if that's what you want? Do you mean you want certainty in life so you have freedom to do things while being secure? You can't schedule spontaneity.

I am a person who craves certainty myself, often at the expense of actually living life or experiencing it. 

Example: I was stuck in a town for 4 hours. I often talk about wanting to socialize more, I was in a store where a group activity was going on that I wanted to try, but rather than think about just asking to join, I asked the owner if I could have a card and book an appointment to join another time I was out that way. My need for certainty and to have things arranged wrecked my chance of actually experiencing what I wanted. (Story of my life). The worst part was I didn't think about what i'd just done till I was on the way home.

Edited by BlueOak

I have sent my resignation to my work. So i will become unemployed in about 1 months time. Feels good.

On 29.3.2024 at 9:01 PM, BlueOak said:

You want certainty to have uncertainty and be spontaneous? Why not go straight to being spontaneous if that's what you want? Do you mean you want certainty in life so you have freedom to do things while being secure? You can't schedule spontaneity.

If i know i have to get some things done, then i like to do it first. Then i will have the rest of my time and day free to do what i would like to. If i go straight into being spontaneous then i most likely won't do what i need to. I suppose i could also could say i just wanted freedom