Hardkill

US Political Spectrum Mega-Thread

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, BlueOak said:

Here you go for people who are skimming the thread, America's 2020 election political compass. 2024 will be done toward the end.

Political-Compass.png

Remember, all these things are relative.

And you have some very strange placements there.

Tulsi Gabbard is as left as Bernie and more left than Williamson? Haha

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Remember, all these things are relative.

And you have some very strange placements there.

Tulsi Gabbard is as left as Bernie and more left than Williamson? Haha

They can be different scopes, but when put in the context of the political compass, this is how they come out. I understand if this were framed as being relative, I'd be less prone to respond. It did occur to me to bring it up, but this is decades of aggravation, practically it comes out that when I talk about 'the left' I am having a completely different conversation to an American, which is not helpful to have that level of disparity in communication.

From the American political perspective, I can see the post in context with a few strange anomalies. From actually being left or right in a scope beyond just America it's way off. There is almost no American political left, there is a center-right party and a far-right party.

For the information, that's the site quote, for the 2020 election. I will say from what I saw Gabbard hadn't shown her colors yet, which were either extremely translucent and whatever made her money, or a straight lie.

Edited by BlueOak

Posted (edited)

Tusli Gabbard is right-wing. She is a traitor to the left and deserves to be shamed and mocked by the left.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Tusli Gabbard is right-wing. She is a traitor to the left.

Yes she switched as a grifter, but in 2020 as far as I recall, she hadn't made that jump yet.

Here is the source again if anyone misses it in my walls of text:
https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2020

Edited by BlueOak

On 3/31/2024 at 4:11 AM, Leo Gura said:

Tusli Gabbard is right-wing. She is a traitor to the left and deserves to be shamed and mocked by the left.

Totally. I actually wrote that in the comments section under her YT vid on why she left the Democratic Party and then joined Fox News.

Megyn Kelly is another staunch conservative Independent:

Posted (edited)

😂😂

Hillary Clinton on Jimmy Fallons show, omg, i agree with Megyn and Glenn on this one. 😂

Edited by Merkabah Star

Posted (edited)

* I actually realized another mistake I made with my OP. It had to do with the Burger Court. I just realized that the Burger Court (occurred from 1969 to 1986) was actually the last liberal leaning court to date before the Rehnquist Court began to occur in 1986. However, the Burger Court became a less liberal leaning SCOTUS than the preceding Warren Court (occurred from 1953 to 1969). According to wikipedia, this court was "A symbol of the conservative 'retrenchment' promised by President Richard Nixon in the 1968 election, Burger was often overshadowed by the liberal William Brennan and the more conservative William Rehnquist. The Burger Court had a less generous interpretation of the protections offered by the Fourth Amendment and the Fifth Amendment than those of the Warren Court, but the Burger Court did not overrule any of the major precedents set by the Warren Court."

** I also just realized that while Justice Frankfurter's more conservative views prevailed during Vinson's tenure (which caused the court to become more conservative than preceding very centrist Warren court), many of the dissents written during the Vinson Court (1946-1953) had laid the groundwork for the major rulings that occurred during the succeeding Warren Court. So, the Vinson Court was essentially a transition court like the Burger Court was in its own way. 

*** I further now realized that while the Stone Court (1941-1946), which preceded the Vinson Court, was more centrist than either center-right or center-left, the Stone Court tended to lean slightly more liberal than conservative overall with all its rulings. In fact, according to wikipedia, "The short length of the Stone Court gave it little chance to establish a definitive legacy. However, the Stone Court continued the Constitutional Revolution of 1937 that had started during the Hughes Court and foreshadowed the liberal rulings of the Warren Court."

Therefore, one could argue that the US used to have a liberal-leaning SCOTUS for about 45 years (1941-1986).

Edited by Hardkill