6 posts in this topic

The article is behind a pay wall: 

But this is what the auther shared through his Linkedin

1710456465234.jpeg

1710456470855.jpeg

1710456468363.jpeg

1710456468466.jpeg

1710456465967.jpeg

My claim is that the new phone-based childhood that took shape roughly 12 years ago is making young people sick and blocking their progress to flourishing in adulthood. We need a dramatic cultural correction, and we need it now.

In the article and in my upcoming book I argue that we need to institute 4 new norms: 
• No smartphones before high school. 
• No social media before 16. 
• Phone-free schools.
• More independence, free play, and responsibility in the real world.

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, Davino said:

No smartphones before high school. 
• No social media before 16. 

A potential solution is to provide children with a semi-personal smartphone that is controlled by the parent. The parent can set limits on usage time, and as the child grows older, they can gradually increase the allotted time. 

Social media is not allowed at least at 12. 

36 minutes ago, Davino said:

Phone-free schools

Install jamming devices inside the school? >:(

Or ISP services could collaborate with the government to establish free zones around schools. People will see this as overly authoritarian. 

Edited by LSD-Rumi

Sad

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

Posted (edited)

I didn't have an Android phone until I was about 16–17 years old.😂 But I was in front of my computer most of the day, exploring the internet.

I think creating an authentication system for social media and teaching kids how to use phones might be even better solutions. Sometimes bans could help, idk.

But schools need to change their way of teaching subjects. It's too boring and repetitive. You mostly train your memory. They're part of the problem.

Edited by Understander

@LSD-Rumi I would rather prefer to make social media healthier and phone use positive and enriching for people.

As that is now in ht best interest of corporations focussed on dopamine and addiction, maybe some prohibitions should be imposed.

The diagnosis is severe but the treatment to heal a whole generation is the real challenge